On My Own

Chris POV

What was my mother doing here?

I couldn't stand her lying, thieving and deceiving ass.

All my wrongs and flaws are because of her.

She was so evil and greedy. Everything she did was for the money and the wealth. She didn't care about us, she didn't love us and honestly if I died today I know in my heart she wouldn't even shed a tear. She would risk our lives for her pleasure.Since I was little she had me and my younger sisters go to the mall and steal for her.

We stole purses, jewelry, money, and food for her, and if we failed or got caught she would beat the living death out of us. She stripped my grandparents out there last penny and maxed her sister's credit card out leaving her in a never ending debt.

She used my father for money and once I found out that she tried to sell me and my siblings I was completely done with her.

I didn't want anything to do with her, so at the age of 14 I grabbed the couple of things I owned, grabbed each of my sister's by their hand, at that time Christie was 11 and Christina was 8, walked to the nearest train station, and caught a train all the way down from Missouri to Miami where my godmother, her ex-best friend lived.

We lived there for two years until my mother camed down one Saturday night on Christmas Eve and handed me a key to a condo. I didn't know who's condo it was, or how she got the money but I took it and moved in. My father, a lawyer in Missouri pays our monthly rent and my godmother helps us with groceries using her food stamp card.

She would pop in and out of my life, visit us on holidays and she was able to meet some of my close friends by accident, like Tyquan and now Serenity.I was thankful for all of her help lately but I wasn't ready to forgive her for everything she put me through in my childhood.

If there's anyone I should be thankful is for Serenity.

I still couldn't believe that she actually fought a girl for me. I appreciated her loyalty and support.

From the moment Tyquan told me that she had fought Linette, I knew she was the one.

I smiled as I thought this.

I'm gone cuff her.

"I gotta go, my ride is here, are you staying overnight at the hospital?"she asked me.

"Nah, I'm going home. I can't stay that's gone be more money on the bill,"I answered.

"Okay, well call me when you get home. I want to make sure you are safe and feeling better."she said on her way out.

I love this girl

She left.

"She's very pretty," my mother said low.

I don't know why but I said "thank you."

"Are you seeing anyone yet?"she asked.

"No, but I have her in mind,"I smiled.

"Good, because I like her," she nodded.

That was awkward.

I looked down at my hands and studied the thick cast that surrounded my right hand.

I hope I'd be able to play for at least district games.

My mother noticed my worried look.

"No basketball this season, doctor's order,"she remarked as if she read my mind.

"I'll be fine,"I hissed.

She was starting to aggravate me. Who is she to come here and tell me I can't play basketball? She never worried about my well being so why pick today to start.