3

Sawyer texts him their entire journey, and at one point he gets a series of texts all at once that they tried to send while in the air.

wtf flying is so scary

my legs r cramped

i got the window seat i cant move

five hours to go jfc

And so on. He laughs at the latter ones, after they woke up and began to text him backstories for people on the plane. His favorite was for an older lady, who Sawyer dubbed Edith and said she was on her way to visit her grandson, as she was knitting a pair of pale blue booties.

y r clothes gendered that's just so..... unnecessary

i feel like your extensive research into gender theory has already told you this, he texts them when he reads the rest of their messages.

yea but...... still, they say a few minutes later. anyways im in la!!!

congrats. r u burning

totally but i got a little bit of a tan so its not like ill get lobster red

cant relate

u just gotta sun urself for a little bit at a time so yo dont burn

too much time. all or nothing

thats why u get lobster red, they reply, and then, time to meet the roomies!!!

good luck, he sends, and locks his phone.

Everything seems a bit realer now that twenty-five hundred miles have been diminished to living in the same city. He and Sawyer are closer, literally, and it's only been a few weeks, but he can't stop his heart from having a little skip every time he gets a new message from them. This is part of any relationship he doesn't like, the uncertainty in the beginning. It's bad watching it in a random movie, and even worse when he's actually experiencing it.

Ethan wants to get his mind off of it, so he goes upstairs to film a new episodes for his latest series, despite having just uploaded the previous episode.

He's just finished his outro when his phone begins to ring for a FaceTime for Sawyer. He smiles without noticing, and accepts the call.

The first thing he sees is a pixelated image of a cat. "Oh, my God! It's so cute!" He says, and he can hear Sawyer giggle.

"He's the cutest. Guess what his name is," they say. Ethan doesn't have time to call out a name before they're saying, "Aaron Purr."

Ethan laughs. "Like, the guy who killed Hamilton?"

"Yeah, exactly! He's mean, too. He tried to bite me when I first came in."

"Seems to like you now, though," Ethan says.

"After thirty minutes of forced cuddling," they saw, and on screen, they reach out to pet the cat. "Don't you?" they coo, and Aaron Purr swats at them. "It's a sign of love," they declare.

"If you say so," Ethan says dubiously. There's a reason wh6y he likes affection-giving dogs much more than he does cats, although cats are calmer and don't slobber a whole lot.

"Anyways," Sawyer says, and switches the camera so now he can see their face, "I come to LA, meet a cat, and realize this apartment has the worst WiFi! Zero broadband."

"There's three people in this house that are always online!" Someone calls from off screen.

Sawyer turns to scowl at them. "Shut up, Henry! I can complain all I want!" The image gets blurry and the sound cuts out a little, and when the image comes back, Sawyer's in a new room. "Okay, want a sneak peek at my great room that's totally unpacked?"