Chapter 23: It's Never Easy

I hated this. I hated this so much that I'm not sure I ever hated something more in my life. It just never gets better and I don't understand why this has to happen to me.

My life is just now taking a different path, and after I thought it was all going to be ok, Miss Shuler has to come and make it worse again.

That woman makes my heart stop and beat so damn fast, all at the same time. I adore her, and I also hate her, all at the same time.

Why she keeps playing with my heart, I don't know. But if she thinks she's going to continue to do this to me, she has another thing coming. She wants me to stay with her? Fine, I will.

And I will enjoy every damn minute of it.

As soon as she opened the front door, I threw my duffel bag on the floor and turned toward her. "So, I get your bedroom, right?" I smiled at her as she shut the door then looked at me.

"Excuse me?" she stared at me in confusion.

I shrugged, "I mean, I am your guest, right? You agreed to let me stay with you, so it's only fair if I get the biggest room in the house," I grinned at her as she was still staring at me.

After a moment of not saying anything, she nodded, "Sure. Whatever you want," she walked around me, leaving me standing there confused.

I shook the thoughts away and followed her into the kitchen. I leaned my back against the counter and watched her for a moment. "So, I was thinking tacos tonight," I stared at her as she was looking through the fridge. When she turned around, she only nodded then went looking through some cabinets.

I didn't understand what the hell was going on, because I'm trying to get her pissed but it's not working. Why isn't it working?

I decided to leave her alone and walk around the house. I never really took a look around her house, so I figured now would be a good time since I will be staying here for a while.

I walked around the living room and looked at all the pictures hanging up on the wall. They were paintings and they looked pretty neat. I stood in front of one and stared at it as I was trying to figure out what it was.

"I drew that," I turned around and saw Miss Shuler standing there looking at the picture also. Her eyes met mine, "When I was a senior in high school, I took an art class and I drew that for one of the projects," she smiled at the painting as I stared at her. "The teacher thought it was so good that he let me take it home and keep it," she looked at me and I turned back towards the picture.

It was a little confusing to look at because it didn't have any real drawings in it. It was more like a bunch of swirls and patterns, and it was pretty cool to look at but I guess you would have to have an artistic eye to actually see it.

I felt someone looking at me, as if I didn't already guess it, so I turned around and saw Miss Shuler turn just in time as I turned and she walked back out of the living room.

I decided to leave the painting and walk back into the kitchen where she was starting to cook. I leaned against the counter and watched her. She turned and looked at me and our eyes met for a moment. "Would you like to help?" she stared at me as I was looking over at all the stuff on the counter.

I nodded and walked to her. I stood beside her, waiting for my instructions. She looked at me and smiled, "Do you know how to cook?"

I shrugged, "Faintly," I never really learned how to cook becaue Jessica never did buy anything that required cooking. She only bought things that we could pop in the microwave or just make without a stove.