Chapter 12: Moving On

Three years later...

Tanya ran down the street listening to the iTunes playlist she created specifically for getting fit. The weather was starting to get nippy, so she decided to wear her Nike joggers and thumb holed long sleeve shirt. She was sweating profusely and just wanted to get home and take a nice, hot shower.

Tanya paused to take a breath, as she wiped some sweat from her brow. She placed her hands on her knees and elbows on her thighs, bending over fully exasperated. She had really pushed herself today.

Michael slowed down his pace and jogged backward to where Tanya had stopped. She had been training with him for a few months now, and today he increased their circuit, so she was getting adjusted to the intensity of their exercise. He rested his hand on her back and asked if she were okay.

He was secretly admiring the way her outfit hugged her curves. Although he had made several advances toward her, she hadn't acted on them and he was unsure if she was interested at this point. He never really dated his clients, but there was just something special about her wit and determination.

"You did good today, T? We can stop now if you'd like. I don't really want you to over exert yourself." Michael handed Tanya a Core water bottle, and used his hand towel to wipe the sweat from his face and neck.

"Yeah, thanks. I kind of want to go home and take a shower anyhow. I feel disgusting." She complained.

"So, you still haven't thought about my offer?" Michael asked. There was a beer and wine festival that night, and he had invited her and a few of his other friends. He already knew that they would have a great time together, and was trying to suppress his excitement in case he were disappointed.

"Oh, about helping you lead the fitness group?" Tanya quizzed. She could tell she was on the wrong topic when he averted her gaze.

"You were talking about the date." She stated matter of factly. She knew there was no excuse she could give him at this point as to why she wouldn't be able to attend.

The real reason she kept avoiding going out with him, was because she was scared. She hadn't entertained men without knowing their true intentions, and was also focused on the renewing of her whole being.

"Look Mike, I- I think..." Tanya was stuttering and took a deep breath.

"Tanya, it's fine. Don't worry about it. I didn't mean to impose or anything. I guess I'll see you Friday afternoon for training." Michael interrupted. He turned to walk away, clearly dejected.

Tanya felt a pang of remorse. She didn't want to crush his ego, but she also didn't want to lead him on.

She scuttled after him. "Wait up!" She shouted. He was almost at his car. She decided she would go out with him, just as friends. It couldn't be too bad, especially being that other people would be there.

"What time did you say the festival was?" She inquired.

Michael perked up. "It's from six to ten."

"I'll be there." Tanya smiled. She headed to her car and made her way back home. She wanted to tidy up a bit, and finish her studying before she headed out. She was reading a book on grace and the good news of gospel. It addressed so many things she was feeling at this point in her life.

As the time approached for her departure, Tanya became nervous. The last few times she agreed to entertain anyone, she already knew it wasn't going anywhere. Although she put it in her mind that they were going as friends, she couldn't deny that there was a mutual attraction.