Chapter 7: Harry Potter Moment

I woke up early the next day at five with an awful head ache. I couldn't believe that the anxiety of what was to come had drifted into my dreams. They displayed my worst thoughts: girls surrounding me, yelling hurtful taunts and threats and eventually resolving to beating me up physically. I suppose it wasn't a dream at all, but rather, a nightmare.

Needing to kill some time, I listened to One Direction. After all, their music always seemed to lift up my spirits and make me forget my troubles. Lottie came in about an hour later to make sure I was awake but, as she saw, I was indeed and dressed in my school uniform as well. By the bags under her eyes, I could tell that she hadn't slept well either. She was also clearly distracted since she had actually burned herself making scrambled eggs.

Later, we were out the door and off to school. This time, the walk was silent. We both knew what we were getting ourselves into, but maybe a little less on my part. Finally arriving at our destination, we just lightly nodded our heads as a farewell, then we parted ways.

Why do I have to start out with math in the morning? Yuck.

On my way to class, I saw three girls confidently walking my way. "Chasteny?" the brunette in the middle questioned.

"Yes." I responded a little skeptically. I didn't remember even seeing these girls before.

"Hi, I'm Adelaide and this is Ivy and Reagan." Ivy and Reagan? Lottie's former best friends? This wasn't going to go well. "First of all, welcome to Westford! And second, we know that you're new here so I thought we could give to some advice. Uhm, we've seen that you've been hanging around with Terrence-"

"And no one blames you!" Reagan interrupted.

"We know that the headmaster arranged that for you!" Ivy added.

"Yes, and I'm not sure if you know this, but he's not exactly the most...normal. Basically, we don't get on with him well and we wouldn't want you to make any mistakes on your first few days here. I hope you'll understand, but if you go on making friends with him, you might as well say bye to your social life and reputation here. After all, you don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. We can help you there." Adelaide then stuck out her hand.

No way! That was a huge Harry Potter moment! That was exactly what Malfoy had said when he first met Harry. Recalling the text in the book, I repeated exactly what Harry had said word for word. "I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks."

She retracted her hand almost as quickly as she had first presented it. Her eyes narrowed slightly, "Well don't say I didn't warn you, then." Silently, she and her posse walked away. Thank you J.K. Rowling!

Shaking off my experience, I made my way to math class. When I had arrived in the classroom, I sat in the seat right next to Terry. He looked surprised for a second when I gave him a cheerful smile and greeted him. The rest of my classes went well until French, when I noticed Adelaide and Ivy's desks on the other side of the room. Just my luck, we finished our lesson early and our professor allowed us to mingle and chat for the last minutes of class.

Before I knew it, Adelaide and Ivy were standing in front of my desk. "You never told us where you were from. America, I suppose?" Ivy asked mockingly.

"Yah." I replied.

"Where exactly?" Adelaide pressed on.

Nosy much? "A couple hours from the capital."

"Ah, Washington, D.C. Surprised, are you? I'm rather gifted in geography. I'd bet you wouldn't know the capital of Spain." She spat.

The truth was, I didn't, but I knew I would probably remember after someone said it. Instead of giving in, I tried to reply with a more witty answer, "Well, I'd bet you wouldn't know how many states were in the U.S.A."