Chapter 12: Heading in a Dancing Direction

When Lottie screamed, I was halfway through reading about the Age of Enlightenment in my history textbook. The sudden sound caught me by surprise and made me jump, scattering the pages of notes I had written all over the floor. I pushed my rolling chair I had recently purchased out from my desk and scampered to Lottie’s bedroom, grabbing a nearby calculus binder for protection.

               Thankfully, there weren’t any intruders in her room for me to hit with the binder. Lottie was sitting on her bed staring in shock at the laptop on her lap. She beckoned me over frantically with her hands. As I walked over and set my binder on the floor, I studied her facial expression. She looked elated, yet like she could break down in tears at any moment.

               When I looked at the laptop’s screen, I saw an email from Modest! Management. I read as fast as I could.

               Miss Lottie Beasley,

               We are contacting you regarding a package you had sent about a month ago to one of our clients. The cd you had sent was given to Liam Payne as requested. Normally, we have a strict policy of disallowing our clients to receive gifts such as yours. However, Mr. Payne had previously notified us of such a package.

               After listening to your cd, Mr. Payne took a great interest in the song titled Through the Dark. He has asked that you be contacted immediately since his band, One Direction, has unanimously decided their interest in recording the song. In addition, they ask whether they could meet with you to edit some parts of the song. If completed in time, the song has an opportunity to be featured on the band’s upcoming album.

               The song seems very promising and the collaboration would result in a profit for yourself. Your consideration is much appreciated. We simply ask that you reply to our request at your earliest convenience so that meetings and recordings can be scheduled.

               Best,

               Modest! Management for One Direction

               “Lottie, you did it!” I cried out. “Do you know how well known you could get for this? Singers are going to beg for your music once they hear your song! I can’t believe this!” Lottie had tears trickling down her cheeks that ran down to the corners of her smile. I sat beside her and gave her a hug. “You did it.” I repeated gently.

               She nodded her head and wiped her tears off on her sweatshirt’s sleeve. She took a deep breath and typed away in response to the email. Once she finished, it read:

               One Direction and Modest! Management,

               I am so glad that my song was so well received. I am truly grateful for this amazing opportunity. I humbly accept the offer and look forward on working with you in the near future.

               The email went on to explain dates and times that would work best for herself. However, that section would probably be disregarded. After all, One Direction was a busy group, to say the least, and didn’t have much time to spare. The final schedule would be primarily centered around openings in the band’s hectic schedule, not Lottie’s.

               By the end of the day, a detailed list of meeting times and dates were arranged without much flexibility. In fact, the first meeting was scheduled for tomorrow morning from six to nine. Management certainly didn’t mess around or incorporate much time for sleep. Despite having to miss her Sunday church service, Lottie agreed to come. The sooner she began the collaboration, the more likely her song would be recorded onto the album.