Stefan Salvatore - "I don't want to be alone right now"

"I'm sorry..." Stefan swallowed. He had his hands in the pockets of his jeans and the smile that made him so incredibly handsome had disappeared from his face. "I'm sorry that you are in the middle of all of this because of me." He bent his head and stared at his feet. "I totally understand it if you want me to leave."

You took a deep breath and wrapped your blanket a little tighter around you. You were still shaking a little and even though the wound in your neck was magically healed, you would never be able to forget how much it had hurt. "Don't go..." You whispered and you looked up at him with your eyes wide open. "I don't want to be alone right now." You shivered and you felt your heart racing in your chest. "If..." You paused for a moment. "Were you ever planning on telling me what you are?" You moved aside a little and made room on the couch so Stefan could sit down next to you.

While he walked towards you he shrugged his shoulders and avoided your glance. "I don't know." He swallowed and he wrapped an arm around your shoulders while you curled yourself up against his chest. "I was afraid everything with change if I did and..." He licked his lips. He was still the same Stefan, but somehow you couldn't look at him anymore without remembering his fangs, the veins on his face, his superspeed, his superpower, all those things that had been so terrifying, but had also saved your life. "I liked pretending to be an ordinary human for a while." He still avoided your glance.

You nodded and you touched your neck one more time. Somehow you had always known that Stefan was hiding something. Somehow you had always known that you didn't know everything about him. You had liked that. You had seen it as a mystery, as a present that you would unwrap slowly for the rest of your life. You had thought that it could help to keep things interesting between the two of you. You had not realized that his secret was actually dangerous, that you were now part of a world where being hurt or even killed wasn't a one in a million chance anymore.

"You should throw me out of your house and out of your life." Stefan tightened his grip around you. "I lied to you and because of me you're in danger." He shook his head, but he pressed a soft kiss to your hair.

"Because of you I'm still alive, right?" You looked up at him and your eyes met his. "And vampires have alway existed, also before you walked into my life." You bit your lip. "I just didn't know it." You sighed. "But I do know now and even though the idea that vampires exist scares the hell out of me..." You paused for a moment. "I somehow think I'd feel a lot safer with you than without you."

"I promise that I won't let anything or anyone hurt you." Stefan spoke softly and you nodded at him before he pressed a soft kiss on your lips. "I promise that I will protect you."