Chapter 8: Niylah.

I had spent a few days inside my shelter recovering from my injuries and also to give the panther time to move on. The only problem was it had tasted my blood, it knew where I dwelt.
Emerging into the dawn light, I cautiously searched the area for traces of the cat. Fresh blood was still visible near to my habitat. It was still prowling, still waiting for me out there. With bounty hunters at my back, the addition of this feral beast was a threat I could do without.
I'd spent the morning building a vantage point in the trees so I could easily see my prowling shadow. My senses were on high alert every second I was out in the open.
Using a rabbit as bait, I climbed into the trees with my dagger and waited for the beast to show. Hours passed by and no sign of my foe. I remained still and silent, my eyes constantly searching the woods, ever vigilant. Eventually, the daylight began to fade and I started to loose confidence the cat would show, maybe that was a blessing.
Three months ago I'd never have thought I'd be prepared enough to take on a wild beast such as this. Any doubts I still had subsided as I saw the black cat moving from out of the trees. It was clear it was still injured, moving slower, more cautiously than before. I waited until it was almost beneath me, adrenaline surging through my body. Then, I took my leap from the trees, landing on the panther, driving my dagger into its back. It did it's best to overpower me, slashing it's claws into my shoulder. The pain seared through me, my balance faltered as I fell down a small incline. Panic filled my head as I saw the beast make its leap towards me. I stayed still, stayed focused and turned my blade toward it's chest. The cat landed on my dagger, it pierced through to its heart.
I considered myself lucky to have survived and somewhat sorrowful it came to this. I rolled it's body off mine and placed my hand upon its fur. Feeling it's heartbeat fading, I honored it with a warriors farewell, "Yu gonplei Ste odon." Your fight is over.

Whilst there was still the light of day, I decided to take my kill to trade at Niylah's

Whilst there was still the light of day, I decided to take my kill to trade at Niylah's. I needed other supplies and preferred not to have the dead beast in my shelter for the night.
The journey took a while. The weight of the panther and my injured shoulder made it hard going, but it was necessary. I waited for her father to leave before approaching, a habit I'd gotten into since my first visit. As usual, Niylah welcomed me with a smile and small talk. I wasn't much of a talker these days, but she had gotten use to my brief responses and never pursued conversation unless I was willing to oblige.
Impressed by my recent kill she agreed to trade and took the dead beast away, returning with meat from my last kill. She offered me a drink whilst I waited for her to gather the rest of my supplies. As she passed me the strong liquor, I noticed she was wearing a Skaikru wristband. My heart sank, this was the last place I expect to see such a reminder of my past. I had almost ceased to think of myself as Skaikru, living this solitary life of a grounder. I knew a part of me would always be connected to the stars and to those who had made it to the ground, but seeing that wristband also brought back some bad memories for me.
As night fell, Niylah returned with the rest of my supplies. I confronted her about the wristband and where she had found it, but our conversation was cut short as two men entered the trading post. I swiftly turned away from their gaze, keeping my face hidden. They were seeking Wanheda and questioned Niylah about any contact she may have had with her. My heart was racing, I could feel my time running out. Before I could make any decisions about my next move, Niylah's actions surprised me. She lied to them. This girl I had only known for such a brief time put her own safety on the line to protect me. For the first time in a while I felt as though my faith in people had been restored and it came from the selfless act of a stranger.

 For the first time in a while I felt as though my faith in people had been restored and it came from the selfless act of a stranger

Niylah had given the bounty hunters false information as to my location and sent them back out into the night. I was surprised by this act of kindness, but I discovered there was meaning behind it. She had always known who I was since we met, that I was known as Wanheda. Her mother had been killed by the Mountain Men, I had ended the reaping and destroyed their hold over the grounders. I never thought my actions that day could be held in a positive light by others.
I waited for some time with Niylah until I was sure the bounty hunters had moved on. She noticed my shoulder was bleeding and offered to treat it. I lowered my guard and agreed. I felt comfortable with her, safe for the first time in a long while. She closed up the trading post and we made our way to her room. I sat upon her bed as she fetched some water and began to clean the claw marks on my back. The warm water felt soothing on my skin as did the human contact.
Niylah wanted to hear about the events at Mount Weather, but I was still unable to speak of them. I wanted to feel something other that the pain of my past, I wanted to feel connected to something other than my ghosts. Taking a chance in the moment, I pulled Niylah closer, I kissed her deeply, not even thinking if I should or shouldn't. I just knew that I wanted her, wanted this visceral moment to take me away from everything. She gladly reciprocated every touch, every kiss. This wasn't love, this was something more savage; two people taking what they needed from each other without complications.
She was wild but tender with my body, our energy passing between each other into the night. We never spoke, we didnt need words, only the feeling of this physical abandonment.
When our energy eventually subsided it gave way to sleep, but my nightmares wouldn't let me rest for long.

I awoke abruptly in the middle of the night, startled by visions of the dead. Panic overwhelmed me, I needed to leave, to return to my solitude. Gathering my clothes to leave I watched as Niylah slept. Thankful of my time with her that night. She had a good heart, a kind soul, too kind for the hurt I felt I would bring her.
I walked out of the trading post without uttering a word, leaving Niylah behind and feeling somewhat guilty for doing so.
The cold night air hit my lungs as I breathed deeply. I had become so comfortable with the shadows that the woods held, but that night there was one shadow that didn't belong, a shadow that would change everything for me.