Change.

Grey

This is the longest car ride of my life. It isn't because Rory won't stop with all the talking and excitement, and it isn't because Ty keeps giving her googly eyes, it isn't even because they've taken over my stereo system with some cheesy feminine music. It's because I can't stand the council. When I was young, eight or nine maybe, my mom was always ranting about how evil the council is. I remember one time in specific that stands out to me more than anything; she had just come home from work and I was playing my game when I heard her say "They know that I know something about their plot." "Who momma, who knows?" I asked worried. She started packing and before I knew it the door came flying in and I saw the council officer waltz in like he owned our house. He cuffed my mom with tremendous force. "You're coming with me ma'am." She taught me to never trust the council before she was taken.
My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of complaints "I need to pee Grey please pull over" I look back to see Rory squirming in effort to hold her bladder and do my best not to laugh. I pull over at the next gas station and she runs inside like a chicken with its head cut off. I step inside with Ty and we begin to get drinks ready. We approach the counter and set our things down. "Hey aren't you the council's son?" The clerk asked. I look at him like he's​ retarded not realizing that he was talking to Ty "HELL NO I'M NOT!" I say getting irritated. Then it hits me that he wasn't even looking at me. "Yes I am," Ty nods and looks over to me, "get Rory and run" I hear Ty say sternly. I don't know why but I have the immediate urge to listen, feeling as though we are in danger. But we're too late. Before we can do anything we're completely surrounded by the dissidents  and we can't do anything but hope and pray for mercy. Thinking quickly I create a wall from the ground below, the weak barrier reminding me I have one shot at this, and only one. I begin throwing lightning bolts around the makeshift barrier and cause an earthquake around our foes taking out as many as I can. Thinking quickly I grab the only two people I've ever known as family and remember a safehouse I know of, I hear a deafening boom and instinctively close my eyes and duck my head for protection. Moments later we are all in the center of a camp in the middle of the woods with everyone's eyes on us. I am way to drained to do that again so I take a defensive stance, almost fainting while doing so. Then a tall very buff and mean looking man steps out of a nearby tent with his hands raised, an aura of calmness fly's through the entire camp. My adrenaline subsiding I can feel my energy begining to diminish. My vision turns black and I faint.
I wake up and see Rory and Ty beside me
"How long have I been out?" "Two days, you missed quite a conversation between us and chief Shadow." Rory says. "Why didn't you tell us you have the gift of Havoc?" Says Ty as soon as Rory finishes. Fuck. I look up at Rory and flinch when I see the fury in her eyes. "The less you know the better I can protect you. Or at least I thought so until the council decided on the emergency meeting. I knew something bad was going to happen I just didn't know what.." I see the emotion in Ty's eyes change. Fear? Worry? Sorrow?
"The council is going to kill all of the late bloomers. Everyone who has yet to devolpe their power past the age of 13 will be instantly murdered. Maybe the dissidents taking us was a blessing, if it wasn't for them Rory would be dead." I notice the tears threatening to escape Ty's eyes. Maybe my mother was right, maybe the dissidents aren't bad after all. Glad for the momentary subject change I get up and move out of the center of attention. Walking around the camp I realize I haven't eaten in at least two or three days. I find an old woman sitting in a lawn chair in front of a makeshift tent. When I approach her she looks up at me and sets aside the old book she was reading. "Can I help you young man?" "Yeah, um..Where can I find something to eat here?" "Just right behind that last tent you should find Jerald working on supper." I smile politely and thank her setting off in the direction she showed me.
When I get to the center of the camp where the fire is going I am greeted by Rory and Ty. We chat about the food here and the people until the cook, I'm guessing his name is Jareld, announces supper is done. "You guys wait here I'll go get our plates." Ty offers and runs off to get in line. When I turn back to Rory a thought comes to me threatening to make me crumble. She doesn't know.. Noticing my sudden change in mood Rory regards me questioningly "Grey, are you okay?" I rub the back of my neck and try to think of a way to tell her without making her rip my head off. I look at the ground and begin my speech "Yeah, Rory there's something I need to tell you. I know I should have told you sooner I just never really thought it was my business to get into. With everything going on I don't think that matters anymore though does it? But if I tell you, you have to promise to try staying calm and not freak out on me." When I look back up I see the wonder and fear showing all over her face. God please let this go well.. "Rory, as you know I have the gift of Havoc, which unfortunately means I bear all the gifts. Including space. You've got incredible things in store for you, I've seen it and I know you're destined to be great. There will be many battles to overcome but you will have Ty and myself there by your side to help you, along with the people in this very camp. But I also saw something else there to aid you. Something I think you're still unaware of." I take a steadying breath unable to meet her eyes "Rory...You have the gift of Emotion."