Something Strange

Aroura

I walk out of my room after waking up and feeling exceptionally groggy from lack of sleep due to last night's storm, I go straight to the kitchen to get some water. I see dad yawning which is beyond strange-he is never tired in the morning. "Are you okay dad?" I say with concern "Yes sweety I'm fine, I must just need more coffee." He says. I smile and give him a hug "I think I'll take coffee too this morning." I run up to my room to change and grab my things while my father starts the coffee. When I'm done I come back downstairs to make myself a mug of coffee. Seeing my uniform my father sets his cup down and clears his throat. "No school today Rory. The council has ordered an important meeting and everyone is supposed to attend- it's at three today. Until then I'll need your help at the store."
A smile breaks across my face and excitement fills me. No school? That means I'll get to hang out with Grey all morning! Grey doesn't go to school, I've always just assumed he graduated already. He doesn't talk much about his past though so I wouldn't really know. Although one time when we all stayed out at the ocean all night-Grey, Ty, and myself- he did mention tell us some things about his mom. She sounded like such an amazing woman. Kind hearted, hardworking and everything a mother should be. But some people thought she was crazy, they said she talked about the council being a horrible thing. She said they watched us through the televisions and listened to us through our cell phones. She said they only wanted power and put gifts were something they genetically engineered to serve as a distraction, not something they really meant as a 'gift'. As time passed she was thought as a threat to the council and was locked away in an asylum.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when knocking on the front door. "Rory let me in! It's freezing out here!" Laughing and giddy with excitement I run to the front door to let Ty in. "Thanks" he says as he takes off his coat now wet from the rain. "What are you doing here so early?" I say still smiling and take his coat to hang it up. "Well mom and dad will be immensely busy today so I thought I would see if maybe you'd need some help at the store today." I bite my lip trying hard not to blush and make a food of myself. "I would like that Ty. Let me finish getting ready and we can head out."
I run to my room throwing on my work shirt and doing a quick check in the mirror. Why does it have to rain today of all days? Huffing in frustration I quickly brush through my long blonde hair in an attempt to tame it. When I finish I find Ty waiting at the door with an umbrella already in his hand. I smile sliding my hood up walking outside. We make our way to the BlackJack Cafè-I take note of Ty keeping me close to shield me of the rain. We pick up coffee for everyone: A caramel cappuccino for Ty, a dark brewed hazelnut coffee for Grey, and a mocha frappuccino for myself. Next stop-Greys house. Walking through the town I look up at the sky, now hiding behind a blanket of clouds. Where sunlight breaks through it casts stray shadows along the houses lining the streets. We arrive at Grey's house roughly around five minutes later. I can hear the garage door opening and realize he was just about to leave for work. I smile. Just in time to catch a ride.
I hear an engine come to life and take a step to the side getting out of the way. My jaw drops in shock when a gorgeous red mustang pulls out of the garage and stops about halfway down the driveway. I walk up to the seemingly unshaded Grey and gesture to the car with a nod. "Oh that. That is just a car I'm working on for a guy down the street. I thought maybe I could use the money." Walking back to the garage he gets into an old 1969 dodge charger the color of the dark clouds threatening to pour on us. As Ty and myself get in and buckle up we set off to work. I hand Grey his coffee and he thanks me. We arrive at the shop and set about our daily chores. The day goes by fairly normal, my excitement for the meeting keeping me smiling the entire time. Actually it seems like everyone around me is excited today. I even catch Grey smiling while he stocks the pendents at the front desk. Time pass quickly and before I know it the work day is over.
Grey comes into the break room with drinks and snacks. "Alright kiddos if we don't leave now we'll never make it to the meeting. It's at least a two hour drive to Oblivion-the Territory's capital."
Overflowing with nervous energy and excitement I hop into Grey's car and strap in, my feet tapping on the floorboard. What will the meeting be about?? The guys follow me soon after and Grey begins what may be the last car ride we will ever have...