Chapter 3: RUN

"We're going on a bear hunt. We're going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day! We're not scared. Uh oh! A forest. A big dark forest..."

And if she can't go under it, and can't go over it...oh no! She has to go through it!

Stumble trip Stumble trip Stumble trip

Oh, how I just loved that story...still do. And isn't it eerie how it sounds awfully fitting for my story, this chapter in particular...

P.S. But is it her making the noise...stumble trip stumble trip stumble trip...read on to find out...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black. That's the only colour my eyes could see when we drove on through the gaping mouth of the forest. We were enveloped in darkness. Pitch black.

Thankfully, this didn't last for long, and the black was soon replaced with a murky green- almost grey, light. The trees, I could see, were very close together, and super tall. What's more was that they all looked exactly the same. Exact copies of one another.

Pretty easy place to get lost, I say.

With that thought, I turned my attention back to the car and away from the window, not wanting to make up any other horrid fantasies. Bridget was still sleeping whereas Mum was wide awake.

I could've fallen asleep. I would've fallen asleep. If it wasn't for the drone of the car engine unwinding until it finally came to an abrupt end.

And then we started to roll backwards. That was the worst part. I thought we were never gonna stop. Until we crashed into a tree causing all our heads to collide with the back of our seats.

That got Bridget to wake up.

"Mum?" I asked. "Didn't you refill the petrol?"

"Yes. I did Alice. I think all the driving in the forest took a lot out of the car."

"What are we supposed to do now?" I asked, more scared than annoyed. "We're stuck in the middle of some forest, all alone, with our car not working and on top of all that, I'm guessing there's no signal either so now we can't even call for help."

My freaking out wasn't going to make things better.

"Mum?" Bridget asked groggily. We'd all gotten out of the car by then.
"What Dear?"
"Why have we stopped? Where are we? What's happened to the car?!" Wait for it...

"It's just a little stuck darling. It couldn't go up the hill..."

Okay, I couldn't just stand there listening to Mum repeat the same things. I need to do something.

Maybe I'll get signal...I took my phone out of my pocket and raised it above my head, trying to find a signal. It was no use. This wasn't going to work, but if I just moved up there...

I could no longer hear the familiar voices of Mum and Bridget but I shrugged it off.

Getting help is my main priority right now.

One step to the right-no. A little to the left-no. A few steps forward-

"I DID IT!" Speaking to no one in particular.

Yes! I found signal. I should let the others know.

"Mum! Come here, we can call for help, I've got signal on my phone. MUM!" It was no use, I was going to have to scream myself raw if this was ever going to work.