Two

The drive to California took two and a half days to complete. I didn't rent a motel or anything. Just the occasional nap at a rest stop. It was pretty uncomfortable since my entire car was loaded with my possessions. Over those two days, my landlord informed me that my furniture had been moved in and all the necessary appliances have been hooked up. I was excited but also nervous. The sun glared down unto the windshield, causing me to squint. I was wearing my glasses so I could not use my sunglasses. I was right outside LA when my stomach began to growl. I shook my head. I was so close to my new life. I didn't want to stop. I slowed to a stoplight and I noticed up ahead that their was an In and Out. I immediately wanted it. There was never any where I lived. Once the light turned green, I pulled into the parking lot. After ten mintues, I returned to my car, got in, and bit into the burger that I had purchased. Let's just say In and Out became my favorite place.

"Alright Angela. Seems to me that this place is ready for you."

I smiled up at James. He was my landlord. About early thirties. Had a family. He honestly was really nice to me and made sure I could afford this studio. Earlier today he showed me around my new 600 square feet home. It featured a small bathroom, a closet, a kitchen, and then just home space. 

"Unfortunately there was no room for a washer and dryer. So when you exit the apartment, just climb down the stairs and enter into that  maintenance room I showed you earlier. Hopefully by tomorrow I can have them hooked up." 

"Okay. Thanks James." I said. He smiled.

"Here are your keys."

He place them into my hands. He was about to leave but turned around.

"If you have any questions or concerns, I left my number and other contact information on your fridge. Enjoy." 

He closed the front door gently behind him. I heard him pound down the stairs, then nothing. I was left alone. I walked over to my bed and laid down. It felt nice to finally lay down instead of sitting up constantly. I rolled over and looked out the window. It was a street view. The road intersecting to it was a very busy  boulevard. I need to get some blinds. 

I woke up to bright headlights shinning into my window. I squinted my eyes. It was dark. How late did I sleep. I pulled out my phone from my pocket. 10:30. It felt later than that. I wanted to call my mom to tell her that I was here but I stopped. Time change. It was way past her bedtime back in Indy. I got up and decided to take a shower. The warm water relaxed my nerves. Once I got out, I put my hair up and went to find clean clothes. My whole living room was filled with boxes. I'd probably unpack tomorrow. Once I got dressed, I went back to the bathroom to comb my hair. My the time I had untangled my hair was was around 11:30. I decided to go outside and walk around. The air was warm. For the middle of February, this was nice. Dogs barked in the distance. My new job was only a few blocks away. A nice chance to save money on gas. I eventually sat on the trunk of my car. California life style. 

Over the next few days that I didn't have to work, I worked on getting everything unpacked and put into their place. I set up my desk and closet and eventually, put away all my books that I had brought all while listening to some music. My nice, cozy home was coming together. I sat down on my small couch to take a break. My tshirt was damp with sweat. I was a little hot. I turned around and after a few minutes of trying to open my window, I managed. A small breeze swept through the room. I smiled. I already love it here.