Five

After living in California for approximately a month, I have finally decided after only eating fast food, pizza, and TV dinners that it was time to go shopping for healthier choices. I wasn't too happy though. Food prices on the west cost was almost double here than they were back home, which made me wish I still was in Indy. But I quickly made that thought exit my mind. Once I finally got tired of looking at my empty fridge, I slammed it shut. What could I cook? Maybe I could do multiple meals and just have leftovers throughout the week. Yeah sounds good. After making a quick list, I grabbed my small purse that I only care when I need money and keys and headed out. After getting into my car and starting it, some Futuristic came on. While pulling out of the driveway, I turned up the base, jamming out on the way to the store.

I pulled into the parking lot. As I scanned the lot, I noticed there were expensive cars here. Compared to mine, it made me feel very insecure. As I got out, the sun beat down on me. Thank God it was my day off. Only wearing a tshirt and sweatpants, I made my way into the store which they called Pavilions which was just weird. When I made it through the doors, I grabbed a cart and immediately headed to the cold food section. Once I got to the coolers for milk I almost died okay. 

"3.50 for a gallon of milk?!" I opened the door and leaned down to see if my eyes were fooling me.

"Didn't expect it to be that much?"

I jumped and ended up hitting my head on the shelf above.

"Oh my god. I'm sorry." 

I felt a hand on my back. I turned and saw Apex dressed in the most ridiculous outfit. 

"It's fine. Are you sure your not stalking me?" I rubbed my head.

"No I promise. I shop here to ya know." He laughed.

He was wearing a white apron and a white chefs hat. For whatever reason. 

"Are you not embarrassed?" I asked while looking him up and down.

"I've done worse. But slightly," he said.  

" Are you doing a video or something?" I grabbed my cart and started walking.

"Uh yeah. A cooking one. I'm making a cake."

He was soon next to my side walking along with me.

"Can you cook?"

"Enough to survive." 

I stopped. I saw two guys. They were both over six foot. One had a camera and the other had some things in his arms. They both were staring at Apex.

"Don't leave. Let me finish this segment. I'll meet up with ya," he said. 

I looked up at him.

"Better hurry. I won't wait."

After getting all my things I made my way to the checkout line. I've seen Apex and his friends in aisles but I wasn't sure where they were now. Good. Maybe he'll stop. As I was putting my things on the belt for the cashier to scan, a hand put my bag of chips up on the belt. I sighed.

"What? Not happy to see me?"

I turned and was greeted by a smiling Apex. 

"You're totally stalking me," I said. 

"Shh don't say that." He glanced over to the cashier. He put the rest of the groceries up for me. Which was nice.

"Thanks." I say as I stood in front of the credit card scanner, waiting for my total. 

" No problem." 

Out of the corner of my eye I knew he was looking at me. I didn't know how. I wasn't dressed the best. Nor was I the  skinniest or even prettiest girl. 

"That will be 215 dollars."

Wow. I sighed and pulled out my card. But without even hesitating, Apex reached across me, and scanned his own card. I was appalled!

"Why did you just do that?" 

" Because I can," he muttered while he signed and received the  receipt. 

I was angry. I can pay on my own. I grabbed my cart and walked out.

"Hey wait up," he called after me.

" Look, I really appreciate you stepping up and paying for my food, but you didn't have to."

"I like to help others," he said. He walked with me to my car.

"Let me guess. You want to help me load them?" 

I stopped and unlocked my trunk of my car. 

" If you don't want me to-"

"It's fine Apex," I smiled. 

He smiled and grabbed the bags.

"I'm guessing you watched some vids of mine?"

"They were entertaining. But none consisted of what made you famous. COD."

Oh burn. I saw the pain in his eyes.

"Haha very funny." 

Before he left he handed me the receipt.

"I'll see ya around sunshine," he muttered. 

"See ya stalker," I waved. 

He shook his head at my comment and headed off to his car. 

I got into my car and threw the receipt into the seat. But I stopped. I grabbed it, and unraveled it. At the bottom of the list was a phone number. A small smiley face was drawn next to it.

I laughed.

"How did I not see him write that?"