Silver Lining - Chapter One

WRITTEN BY: thenataliagrace

PROMPT:

PROMPT BY: candyscribbles

Some time in the past...

Richard Faulkerson Jr. couldn't decide if he should be grateful for not being alone, or hate the fact that his company was dragging him to a fortune teller in Quiapo. It might have been because of the bitter and jaded part of him, but he'd never believed in all that nonsense. He was quite surprised that people still think that their fate could be determined by people with the so-called second sight.

He sighed.

He was seriously having one of those days where you sort of wished you got hit by a car or get into an accident before you reaching your destination. But it was too late. They had already reached the fortune teller's stall and it looked like his sister wasn't going to change her mind. Still, it didn't hurt to try.

"Look, Riza," RJ started saying when he noticed the large enter sign hanging outside the makeshift tent. "Can we just do this some other time? I really have to finish the paper I'm working on."

It was the truth. His employer was already breathing down his neck about the research study on a community in Sta. Maria, Bulacan that would serve as a basis for a policy he was crafting. It was meant to be a landmark legislation that would help thousands of families below the poverty line. Doing that was much more important than having your fortune told.

"Seryoso ka ba, Kuya? Andito na tayo tapos gusto mo nang umuwi?"

RJ paused. "Teka sandali. Akala ko ba isasama mo iyung mga kaibigan mo dito? Bakit ako na ang kasama mo ngayon?"

Riza let out a frustrated noise. "Kuya RJ? I already told you. Hindi na ako makapaghintay. And I don't really care if you'd rather be somewhere else," she shot a look at him before she walked faster. "So can you just complain quietly? Please?"

"Fine." He told her, crossing his arms over his chest. "But let's make this quick, okay? Wala naman akong balak magpahula eh."

She ignored him and chose to examine the chalk markings and symbols that decorated the large tent and the entrance. She gasped when she noticed the whitish light that filtered through the canvas. "I guess this is it. Tara?"

He looked at her incredulously. "Susmaryosep. Anong sinasabi mo diyan? I'm staying out here." He then gestured at toward the entranceway flap. "Go ahead."

"Kuyaaaaa!" Riza dragged the word out. "Sige na! For me?"

"You'll owe me for this, okay? I can't believe you roped me into this stuff again..." He muttered under his breath.

And with that, RJ lifted the flap of the tent and entered. His sister followed close behind him, looking around curiously.

At first, they saw nothing but the garish cloth that hung in front of them, but then they moved inside and then turned, studying the tent. While the walls were bare, the small cabinets and tables around the room were not. Old books, plants, pots, stones, jars, bowls and objects he did not recognize were crammed and littered around the room. He was sure that some of it were illegal.

"What can I do for the two of you?" A woman suddenly spoke in misty, ethereal tones.

They whirled around and saw a woman close to RJ's age sitting at a table and smiling serenely at them. She was wearing an orange dress and tassel earrings. Three large bead necklaces also hung around her neck. If RJ didn't know better, he'd say that she was merely cosplaying. Or perhaps, she was. He wouldn't be surprised if she was just another person in need who had no choice but to pretend to be someone else to make ends meet.