The Last Phoenix - Chapter Five

DEI

I can't fail. Trinity entrusted me with this mission but I think I failed her. She died to save Benjamin, to save our last hope but here he is now, dying in my hands and we haven't even reached the Haven yet.

I can barely hear Calixto but I know he's making me summon my shield. I raised my hand and a film of violet ray covered the three of us. He carried me and Benjamin and shoved us into the car.

"Dei, Dei listen to me. It's going to be okay. We just have to make sure that we get to the Haven so he can resurrect."

I looked at Calixto blankly and then outside. More and more Daemones are following us and I am not even sure if we are going to make it in the Haven in time.

In my lap, the now lifeless Benjamin, laid. I touched his face and ran my fingers through his hair. Then I remembered my sister. Trinity thought that Benjamin was worth all her sacrifices and her life. Trinity believed that Benjamin is our savior and she protected her until her very last breath.

I will protect you Benjamin.
I will make sure that you reach the Haven.
I will make sure that you resurrect.
I will make sure that you get what you deserve.

I carefully moved Benjamin's head into the seat. I wiped my tears and summoned my bow and arrow before I told Calixto: "Keep driving. I'll take care of this monsters."

Calixto nodded and focused on the road while I carefully eased myself out of the window. I pulled myself up on the roof and crouched to get my balance. I can hear the grunts and hisses of the Daemones as they ran on all four and I know for sure that the monsters became angrier as they saw me.

1, 2, 3.

I stood as the first monster jumped to reach me. My arrow pierced through the Daemones' head, killing it in one blow. Ashes flew in the air fast as I wildly killed all of them and I did not care if it soiled me.

Let my soiled clothes send a message to whoever is sending these scums that I am here. I am here ready to slay and kill them all.

I raised my hand to summon my shield as I recognized that we were almost at the walls of the Haven. Calixto must have already notified the people in there as the gates were already opening as we near it.

It was too late when we realized that the ones opening the gates were Spawns, demon soldiers of the underworld.

The Haven had been penetrated.

//

"Calixto! Calixto!"

"I know Dei, I know! What are we going to do?"

"We fight Calixto, we fight!"

Calixto drifted to the nearest wall and ran over the Daemones that were blocking our path. The Spawns were already throwing torches at us but my shield protected us.

But I know I can't shield us from all these danger forever.

We need to fight.

As Calixto stopped the car I jumped from the roof and waited for Calixto. With only the two of us acting us the barrier between our enemies and Benjamin, we summoned our weapons and braced ourselves.

We fought as hard as we could while looking out for each other's back and while looking out for Benjie's body. With every hit and every bruise that we get, Calixto and I knew that our chances of surviving are already getting slim. But we fought anyway, because we are Ravens and Ravens guard and protect the Phoenix.

In my peripheral view I saw that a number of Spawns are preparing to throw torches at us. I am getting weak from all the fighting but I still raised my hand in attempt to shield us.

But before it can even happen, the Spawns throwing torches and me shielding us, the car behind us exploded and threw all of us into the air.

From where I landed I struggled to get up and run to the car.

Benjamin's body is in there, this is not happening!

But as I forced myself to run to that direction, I was stopped in my tracks when a figure levitated from the cloud of smoke.

He has white hair with streaks of gold, his skin white as snow.

From where I was standing I saw his eyes and it was as orange as the sunset where I was standing I recognized those eyes and when he looked at me everything was confirmed.

The man in front of me is a Phoenix. The man in front of me is Benjamin.

Our Phoenix had just resurrected.

//

"Benjie.." I uttered his name as I caught his eyes. He didn't seem to recognize me because he only gave me a blank stare. I was on my way to get near him when Calixto grabbed me and pulled me behind a large debris.

"Benjamin is in his Phoenix state now and he doesn't know how to control it yet. It will be better for us to stay out of his way."

We watched as Benjamin slayed each Spawn and Daemones that came charging at him. One by one he ripped them all into pieces and his eyes became more and more orange as his strength became more dominant.

He shouted as the last batch of the enemies attacked him. With the wave of his hands, a wall of fire appeared and consumed the Spawns and the Daemones that was left.

Single handedly, Benjie killed them all.

But I know something was wrong as he dropped on the ground in pain. I looked at Calixto and he also had a worried look on his face.

"He's having a hard time controlling his powers Dei."

"We need to help him then!"

"Dei, it's dangerous. He might think you're an enemy."

"I'll take my chances. We can't lose him Calixto."

I ran to where Benjamin was and I was only a few paces away when he raised his hand. A strong force gripped my whole body, making me unable to move.

He raised his hand higher and I was lifted up in the air.

"I am your Raven, Phoenix. I am here to protect you. Please let me help you."

He moved his hand and I was carried by the force near him. I was so near him that our lips almost touched. He looked at my eyes and as he saw its color he said: "Raven."

"Yes." I responded.

His other hand went around my neck and pulled me even closer. "My Raven." He uttered. "Yes." I confirmed.

He then lowered his head to mine and covered my lips with his. Everything happened so fast that I didn't have any chance to react.

The last thing I remembered is that everything went black.

-----