nightmares and rich kids.

2 weeks earlier

*************************

I rolled out of bed and landed with an ungraceful thud onto my bedroom floor. Normal people would be startled by this, but I was not a normal person. Rubbing my sleepy eyes, I tried to focus on the clock next to my bed. Ugh. I was late, again.

I heaved myself off the ground and stumbled into the bathroom with my eyes half shut. The image squinting back at me in the mirror appeared as disheveled as I felt. A messy mop of flaming red hair surrounded a pale freckled face. Black ringed green eyes stared back at me in despair. I clearly looked worse for wear. Which is kind of normal if you haven't been sleeping at night.

So, in addition to being late, I also looked like roadkill. Another average day in the life of Eoghan Hoechlin.

By the time I had showered and stuffed my college books into my backpack, my phone had rung, and gone to voicemail twice, and the smell of bread from the bakery downstairs was wafting into my room, reminding me that, in addition to not sleeping, I hadn't been eating very well either.

As far as I was concerned, one could not be successful in college and expect to actually sleep, eat and well, have a life. My phone rang again, and I made a lunge for it, tripping over some clothes on the way.

"Yeah, I know I'm late. I'll pick you up in five ok?" I rushed, not bothering with the standard telephone greeting.

"H, we're always late for this Physics class. Mrs. Naves is starting to hate us more than she usually does." the voice of my best friend on the other end of the phone said, also skipping the morning pleasantries.

I could hear Quinn shuffling around in the background, his voice fading in and out with the movement.

"Chill out. I'll be there just now. I overslept."

"Again?" he sounded slightly pissed off.

"Yeah...just...I'm coming okay?" then I cut him off before he had a chance to respond and headed out the door, backpack and keys in hand.

Quinn McGrath lived in a swanky new high rise a couple of miles away from me. Old family money. Of course, he refused to, as he put it, "act entitled" and insisted on getting a job and paying for everything even after his family bought him the place.

His latest act of rebellion was refusing to drive the brand new Mercedes his father had gotten him last week after he'd crashed his 10 year old Jeep because the brakes had failed.

Naturally, his plan included me picking him up for classes everyday until he figured out a more self sufficient way to be the family rebel.

Quinn was waiting outside when I got there, his tall lanky figure huddled into his hoodie, backpack on his shoulder, listening to music, and as usual oblivious to the world around him. I mean, that boy was oblivious to a lot of things, including how good looking he was.

With caramel colored skin, sharp gray eyes and curly brown locks, he looked like he had just stepped put of a GQ magazine. It didn't help that he was the smart and brooding kind. I had always been the nerdy best friend.

I sighed to myself. Some people had it all. The looks, the money, and the brains.

"I cannot believe that you are late again" he huffed as he threw himself into the passenger seat of my Prius.

"Yes, well if you stopped acting like an idiot and drove your own car like every other normal rich kid, you wouldn't be late too." I retorted.