Chapter 3: "Define Guy Problems"

© Copyright 2013, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Chapter 3: "Define Guy Problems"

I was pissed.

Really, really pissed, to the point that I was taking it out on the books. I shoved them one by one onto the shelves, not even looking at the titles, which to me was a big deal. I wasn't even scared, yes my experience in the locker room hadn't exactly been pleasant, far from it, but I figured that was the worse he could try on school grounds and I'd just have to be careful outside of school from now on.

I'd spent all afternoon replaying the days events trying to figure out who Ash Hernandez was. I was completely clueless when it came to him, to be honest today was the first time I'd even heard his voice, and there had been something in his voice, something lonely. For a second I felt something close to pity, there must be a story behind those cold eyes...

Wait, What was I thinking?

He was just a jerk. A selfish, heartless, evil jerk. Though I still had to find out more about him. I had to find out what his weakness was. I needed to strategize. 

I sat on the nearest stool, a pile of books still in my hands. If I though about it, there was one guy that could help me. Kevin? Kyle? I couldn't remember his name. He was one of the boys that hanged around Ash, but he didn't join in with the stupid pranks, which was definitely weird. When it came to Ash, you were either with him or against him, much like a gang. This guy, Kirk? Was the nerdy type, and he seemed like a decent guy. Seemed.

Maybe, just maybe, I could approach this guy. He seemed shy so if I came up to him with confidence and intimidated him...I know, I know, not nice, but desperate times calls for desperate measures. He was close to Ash, always with him, supposedly they've been together since kindergaden, and he must know something, like a weakness or a phobia...

"Mia, Hun, its late, closing hours. You should head home."

"I won't be long Al. I'll just finish shelving these books."

"Don't be too long, and don't forget to lock up when you're done." He screamed across the store, before heading out the back door.

I took my time stacking the rest of the books before grabbing my jacket and bag before heading for the door. I didn't feel like going home so instead I walked around a little, passing by a college before finally deciding on a small park that didn't look too shabby. I sat on a swing, breathing in the fresh hair. Sitting here, with the small breeze and the quiet, I was completely at peace.

 "Come On! Come On! I wanna play on my swing!" A small voice travelled down the path, as a little girl of about 7 or 8 ran around the corner, entering the park. I could barely hear a mumble of a response. The girl ran in my direction to the swings next to me a guessed. "Who are you?" She asked innocently, cocking her head.

I stared at the girl in front or me; there was something familiar, certainly with the eyes....

"HELLO? Anyone there?" It wasn't her voice that brought me back but more the fact that she was knocking on the side of my head, what the hell?

"Oh, I'm...Uh Mia-"

"Well Miiiia, you're on my swing, get off."

"Your swing?"

"Yes! You see my name on it." I looked down at the red piece of plastic holding me up, noticing the name she was pointing at, written in sparkly purple marker 'Nelly'.

"You're Nelly, I'm guessing." I looked back at the dark blond girl.

"Duh! Now get off."

I had to stop myself from laughing as I stared down at the bossiest kid I had ever met, but she was cute, so I got up, and going against what I though was right, I gave her what she wanted. She jumped onto the thing, a huge smile on her face. Whatever, It's worth seeing her that happy I thought, my heart expanding for the little girl I had just met as I sat on the swing next to her. I'd always wanted a little sister.