9

We pulled onto Shelton pack lands after a short drive, Eric was rattling on and on about how much he hated the mating process, how he didn't want to ever find a mate. I was nervously pulling on the hem of my t shirt, running my slightly damp palms against my jeans. Eric noticed after a moment and smiled towards me, "India, they're your family. It'll be alright. You have nothing to be worried about."

I nodded in agreement, though it did nothing to calm down my shot nerves. It was weird coming onto pack lands without the familiar links surging through my head. I was blind here. Deaf. I didn't like it.

Eric stopped the truck outside my parents house and I sat there glued to my seat as he rolled his eyes, getting out and coming around to my side. He opened the door and leaned against the door frame.

"I'm serious Luna. They're still your parents. They still love you. I'm sure they miss you as much as you miss them. Come on. I'll be right here. If anything goes wrong Colton will be here before you can snap your fingers and we can get you out of here. Not that anything will. They're your family."

I nodded and took a cleansing breath, stepping from the cab and taking Eric's arm. I could see him smirking and I could feel Colton's annoyance. Eric had obviously let him know he was touching me.

"You're a child." I scolded and he laughed, seeming to agree with the statement.

We walked up the porch steps and I wiped my hands nervously against my jeans before knocking lightly as my heartbeat increased.

The door swung open without hesitation and my mother pulled me into a giant blubbering hug full of emotion.

"India, baby, we've missed you so much. The house is so quiet without you. Come in, have a seat, make yourself at home." She squealed as my father enveloped me into a bone crushing hug next.

"Hey sweet pea, how's the new pack?" He asked me proudly and I smiled, my father had never been one to show pride for me until now. He was all too ready to tell everyone his daughter had mated with the strongest alpha in North America.

"It's great dad. Really." I smiled honestly as my mother got teary eyed all over again.

"It's so great to hear that dear. We were worried. You know how some alphas can be."

I nodded and took a seat on the couch, Eric hovering protectively behind me.

"Eric, you can sit down you know."

"I need to be ready for anything. I can't do that seated. My wolf is on edge for some reason." He said quietly, already going back into terminator mode.

"I take it this is Colton's beta?" my father raised an eyebrow and I nodded. "I knew he wouldn't send just anyone here with you." Dad smiled as the door swung open and Mikayla ran in, practically jumping on me on the couch.

"I have missed you so much you have no idea what it's like being around Skye and everyone else without having a mate." She huffed, still holding onto me for dear life. "Now I want you to tell me everything, how is the Alpha, what is his pack like, who did he send you here with?"

She looked behind me then and noticed Eric, and I watched in amusement as she did a double take, locking eyes with him in awe.

"Mate.." I heard them both whisper simultaneously and I looked back at Eric who was looking at her like he'd just found rain in a drought. I smiled at that. Maybe now he would understand why Colton was so protective.

The door opened again and I watched as the familiar brown haired, brown eyed boy from my childhood sauntered in looking nothing like himself. He looked exhausted, the bags under his eyes telling me how little he'd slept. His muscle mass had shrunk considerably, the usually prominent biceps looking lackluster and downsized. Ty hadn't accepted or rejected his mate, and it was taking a toll on his body.