Chapter One

Chapter One

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--Alia--

        It's been six years since I lost him, six years of feeling empty like half of me was missing. It wasn't easy, I can promise you that, but it made me stronger. Now, I could face him without crying--or even feeling anything but quiet, cool detachment. A few years ago, I probably wouldn't have believed that I would've made it this far--hell, I was still even shocked that I had--but I realized that once you overcame something, it wasn't even half as bad anymore.

        A lot had happened in six years time. I became closer to the Gryffindors, and learned to stay away from the Slytherins, who were now enemies to me like they were to the other Gryffindors. I wasn't close to the Golden Trio, I thought that they were overrated...but they seemed nice. From the deaths of teachers, students, and sometimes parents, these six years weren't ones that anyone could predict happen.

        But they happened anyway, leaving everyone who went through them bruised, scratched, and scarred. It made me feel better to know that I wasn't the only one.

        "Hey Alia, what do you have now?" Ginny asked me, coming over to my side. I checked my schedule, a grin coming onto my face as I checked the class.

        "Free period."

        "Us too," Harry interjected. He came over with Ron hanging close by him. I noticed that the third member of their little trio, Hermione, was nowhere among them. Weird. "Do you want to hang around with us?"

        I frowned and stared at him. This was the first time that I had heard those words coming from his mouth. "Um, sure."

        "Great," he grinned. "Let's go around and prank--"

        "Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, and Ms. Morgan, what are you doing standing around in the halls?" McGonagall's voice cut through the air like a sharp whip. We all winced, caught.

        "Um, we actually have a free period, Professor," Ron said sheepishly.

        "I can see that, and I recommend that you fill it with Potions. If I see you again in the hall, and not in class, I will give you detention."

        "Yes professor," we mumbled.

        Once McGonagall was out of sight, the three of us started heading to Potions class. I felt a little better once I realized that Snape wasn't going to teach us this time, since he was the nastiest teacher in existence, but I frowned once I realized that I had no idea as to who the first teacher was.

        "Hey Harry?" I asked him casually.

        "Yes, Alia?" he responded with a smile.

        "Who's our new Potions teacher again?" I vaguely remembered Dumbledore mentioning his name before during his announcements but hadn't retained his name. 

        "Slughorn. Weren't you listening to Dumbledoor when he said his speech?" he teased me. 

        I raised an eyebrow at him. "Honestly, does anyone?" 

        "I do!" Ron exclaimed. 

        I laughed. "Of course you do, Ron." 

        "Right then, we had entered the Potions room. From the looks of things class was just about to start. Slughorn came over to us with a bright smile on his face.