5. "Small Detail"

~Small changes make a big difference~

Most of us know that saying, it applies to virtually everything including how a minor detail can change the interpretations we come up with for an anime scene.

We all remember the first moment Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke had as Team 7- the introduction. If you have read the manga as well as watched the scene, you may or may not have noticed a slight difference between the two, that is: in the manga during Sakura's introduction, Sasuke had been blushing.

As you can see from the photo  (photo taken from the official manga- drawn by Kishimoto and not a fanart or recreation of the scene) Sasuke can clearly be seen blushing as Sakura answers the introduction questions and although she never mentions S...

As you can see from the photo  (photo taken from the official manga- drawn by Kishimoto and not a fanart or recreation of the scene) Sasuke can clearly be seen blushing as Sakura answers the introduction questions and although she never mentions Sasuke's name, it is obvious to him that it's him to whom she's referring too.

In contrast to the animated scene of the introduction-

Sasuke is shown to be looking at Sakura instead of blushing (whilst looking straight ahead) which therefore can cause different interpretations to be made between people who only read the manga or only watched the anime whereas maybe confusing tho...

Sasuke is shown to be looking at Sakura instead of blushing (whilst looking straight ahead) which therefore can cause different interpretations to be made between people who only read the manga or only watched the anime whereas maybe confusing those who have done both.

But why has this small detail been changed in the anime?

One logical reasoning for it is the fact that Sasuke is supposed to be Naruto's opposite (as Kishimoto stated before) therefore showing emotions isn't something Sasuke would do openly unlike Naruto hence the gesture was changed to maintain the emotionless character that only cares for his revenge which Sasuke has been set to be, therefore this detail could have been seen as too out of character hence it was removed during the animation process and replaced with an action that is less obvious in revealing emotions.

This action can bring about different interpretations depending on the perspective you look at it from.

Since Sasuke appears to be frowning, it is no surprise that some viewers may believe that he is annoyed by his pink haired teammate as she is unable to finish her sentences. However, viewers which have paid careful attention would notice that Sasuke always appears to be frowning whenever he is thinking, as can be seen in the earlier scene from the academy, which leads to believing that he could be trying to figure the girl out due to half finished sentences. Because Sasuke is also looking at her, it highly suggests that he is listening and paying attention.

This minor change can bring people (mainly only manga vs only anime)  to disagree on the status of Sasuke's feelings towards Sakura right from the start of the series. As stated above, I believe that the reason for making this change was because it was too out of character for Sasuke to display emotions however, this is only an interpretation as only Kishimoto will know the exact reason for having the blush in the manga and why it was removed for the anime scene.

snow,berryhime_