I Knew That He Knew

~Kayla's POV~

I don't know how I ended up in the hospital, but when I wake up and look around to see myself in a room flooded with the smell of hand sanitizer, I freak out. Then I see Mama peacefully sleeping in the chair close beside the bed.

I felt like a rat in a laboratory being used as a test subject...or something. There was a breathing mask over my nose and mouth, and a tube sticking out of my arm.

Where was Ethan? Does he know where am? Does he even care?

I am tired and confused, so I go to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Wake up." I hear a voice beside me and a hand holding mine. "Please".

The voice was familiar, but I wasn't sure of it. The person was obviously a boy. I could've opened my eyes to see him, but he rambled on.

"Please"

"Wake up"

Then I shot my eyes open, and smiled at Ethan. He had bags under his eyes, and I could tell that his hair hadn't been brushed.

He bent over and hugged me.

" How much of that did you hear?" I could hear the nervousness in his voice.

"Enough" My voice is raspy.

I squeezed him in our hug. I missed him and I was scared. Of course, I didn't say anything about the length of our embrace, but I knew that he knew that I didn't want him to let me go, because he didn't.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next few days went by too quickly. Derian and his sons got in trouble for the possession of illegal drugs and assault. We won't see any of them for a long time. I wasn't discharged from the hospital for another day. I was glad to have Ethan with me the whole time. We had gotten more comfortable with each other, getting to know each other better.

Now we sit in my living room. My mom let me get a day off from school, but she didn't know about Ethan skipping because he didnt want to leave yet.

So Netflix plays on the t.v. while I munch on my cheetos. Ethan sits close beside me as I lean onto him with his arm swung around me. I laugh at a snarky comment made by the character in the show, but Ethan buffs and reaches for the remote to pause it.

"Hey! I was watching that!"

I sit up, too quickly and my side starts to ache. I groan.

He chuckles, "Careful."

I glare at him and cross my arms.

"I wanted to talk to you." He says, smiling at my annoyance.

"You couldn't just use your words?"

His smile falls and his face goes serious he leans forward, with his elbows resting on his knees.

"How long were you getting beaten?"

I look at him with widened eyes at the sudden change of topic. I struggle with my words and avoid his eyes.

"Wh- what?"

"You told me that they came here, whenever they felt like it, just to start trouble and fight with your siblings."

"Ethan, it was just a normal step sibling realtionship. The boys didnt like us and we didnt like them."

"Kayla. They hurt you guys. All of you, really badly."

He moves closer to me, facing me on the couch now.

"Ethan, I really don't want to talk about this."

I don't want to talk about those boys.

I don't want to talk about what they did.

I look up at Ethan. His face is pained.

"I hate knowing that they treated you like garbage."

"I'm okay now, Ethan." Tears gather in my eyes as I try not to think about past memories. I wrap my arms around him to hide it. My face is buried in his chest, inhaling his scent.

"I don't want you to be upset."

He sighs and his hands come up to return my embrace.

"I'm here now. Nobody will hurt you again."