Sorry

KAYLAS P.O.V

When Ethan puts his car in drive and continues away from my house, I turn around to the door to unlock it with my key. I hear it unlock, but Trey is the one to open the door. He's angry, like, really angry.

He opened his mouth to say something but stops himself and steps to the side to let me enter. My mother and sister stand from the couch. Mama storms over to me.

"Where in the world have you been?"

"I was- I was out"

"You were out of milk? You were out of peanut butter? What does that even mean Kayla?! We've been blowing up your phone, since Lionel saw you leaving the school with a stranger."

"I wasn't with a a stranger, mama! It was just Ethan. I asked him to skip class with me"

"That isn't a good excuse. And why would you do that anyway?"

I started to speak about Dylan, and how upset I was about the situation, when I heard the steps creak. I look over to see Lionel. He doesn't even say anything to me. He just walks past us and goes into the kitchen, coming back with a Gatorade bottle and a bag of chips. He walks back up the stairs, completely ignoring me.

"I was upset."

"That doesn't give you a free pass to skip classes, Kayla" I'm grateful for her softer voice returning.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't doing anything illegal, and I'm here now."

She sighs, and we are silent until Taylor speaks.

"Where did you guys even go?"

I sigh and answer.

"He took me to the beach." I look at them and continue, " In Long Beach"

"Wha-? Kayla!"

"I didn't know that was where he was taking me!"

"McDonald's or a walk in the park wouldn't have been so bad, but Long Beach? That's a completely different area of this state, anything could've happened"

"Anything could've happened in school, or at McDonald's, mama. Here even!"

She heaves a heavy sigh, and rubs her temples like I've given her a headache.

"I'm sorry. My phone must've died or something." I mutter pointlessly

She looks at me for a long time, with hurt and concern in her eyes. But then turns away from me without another word to me, and goes into the kitchen. I use the chance to slowly make my way upstairs, ignoring my siblings disapproving looks.

I knock on Lionel and Trey's door, and walk in. He's on the floor in front of the tv, with the Xbox controller in hand. His eyes are glued to the screen.

I walk in and sit on the bed.

For a while, I just watch him play.

"Are you mad at me?" I say quietly.

He shrugs and doesn't turn away from the screen. "Should I be mad?"

"I'm sorry that you were worried about me-"

"I wasn't just worried about you, Kayla!" He paused the game and stands up, looking down at me, "I was afraid for you! Not knowing where you were, or who you were with!"

"I was with-"

"Yeah, I know now!" He snaps.

His expression softens when he sees the shock on my face. He sighs while sitting beside me.

"I thought something had happened to you. Something really bad." His voice cracks slightly. "I even started to dial  911 when you walked in."

I keep my head down, avoiding his look. Now that he mentions it, I feel terrible. He only saw me in the morning. Of course he'd freak out if he saw somebody leading out of the school.

 He lifts my chin with his hand.

"You can't just up and disappear like that. Especially with everything that's happened in this family."

I bow my head down low. He's right. I know it, and he knows it. We all have to stay on the lookout for threats. I can't do that if I'm distracted by skipping school and taking joy rides. 

I don't want to get hurt again.

"I'm sorry" I whisper. He scoots closer to me and puts an arm around my shoulders.

"I love you, you potato"

I look at him with a grin on my face. He smiles and squeezes my cheeks, and then pushes me away.

"Okay. You can get out now."

I laugh and stand to leave, but stop and turn back to him.

"And Lionel, please don't be mad at Ethan. He was just trying to make me feel better." I sigh. "It was one of those days for Dylan."

He grunts."One day, I'm going to punch him so hard-"

"Don't go starting trouble. You know how mama feels about violence and looking for a fight"

"Yeah, yeah", he dismissively says and waves me off.

I leave the room and close the door.

A/N: Okay so, it's probably obvious, but I did start this book on a whim and I'm not completely sure where I'm going with it yet....kinda just seeing where it goes. That's probably not good but.....*shrugs*

So I'd appreciate some feedback and suggestions. Thank you all who have given this a chance, kudos to you😀