Boyfriend!?

Kayla P.O.V

Nana asks Ethan to follow her to the kitchen to 'help her with snacks', as I speak to Amaria in the living room. The Shepard puppy hops onto the couch beside her. After a moment of awkward silence, she grins.

"So, who's the boy?"

I chuckle. "Hes my best friend, Ria."

"He's cute."

"Dont even try it."

She giggles. I smile at her. She may look older, but she's the same goofy and carefree girl I was raised with.

All seriousness returns to her face.

"Why did you come?" She asks nervously.

I hesitate. "I had a dream." Her eyebrows raise and I laugh. "Okay it sounds weird but hear me out."

She smiles and I continue.

"It was like a perfect fantasy. I was living a different life. We had a pool, dad was alive, I woke up to cake. My headboard was even a light up."

She laughs.

I stop for a second, thinking about my next words.

"You called out to me from the pool. This same dog was even there." I look up at her. "I just, really needed to see you. To apologise."

She immediately shakes her head. "No. Don't apologise. My head wasn't in the right place for a long time. I had problems with my...mental health, but I'm okay now."

I slowly nod my head. I don't want her to feel like my guilt is because of her, even though it is. I just don't want her to get mad at herself again. But she sees through me.

"Kayla, I see a therapist three times a week. I have friends now. Maybe even a boyfriend soon."

My head shoots up at the word boyfriend.

"No. You dont need a boyfriend. Boyfriends only lead to heartache. I don't want you to experience your first breakup."

"Oh shut up, Kayla. Like you dont have a boyfriend by now."

My face heats up and I avert my gaze from her.

"You've got to be kidding me. You still don't have a boyfriend!?"

"Shhh. Nanas going to hear. Please don't get her started on another lecture." My pleadings with my sister don't even matter, because my grandmother walks in with Ethan, a bewildered look on her face.

A/N:
This is really short
Sorry...