Chapter 3.- Lizzy

09 May 2011

That same afternoon Elizabeth would be discharged, for the first time in her life she would leave those white walls that had been her home during the past three months. Happy watched her sleep, wondering if when she grew up it would look like her or maybe she would look like him, so far the Asian traits inherited from her were predominant, yet the color of her eyes was still undetermined. Despite being born with only twenty-eight weeks of gestation she was healthy, she had only needed to be in an incubator for eight weeks and according to the power of her crying, Happy dared to say that he had strong and healthy lungs.

"Hey! Are you hungry again", she had begun to move and complain, Happy, feeling extremely clumsy, took the baby from the crib and lulled her into her arms while she gave her the bottle. "Today you will go home," Happy whispered as she felt tears fill her eyes. Doctors had said that she still couldn't see in a hundred percent, but she was pretty sure that those eyes were watching her "Alex and Carl will be great parents, you are going to have a great family, who will love you and protect you" it hadn't been easy to make that decision, she'd spent sleepless nights thinking over and over what would happen next.

Happy would have liked to say that when she found out she was pregnant she had been happy, or that she felt afraid or that she might have felt the world fall apart, but she didn't feel like that, she didn't feel anything, she just went to sleep. the next day she got an hour with the doctor, who told her what she already knew, that she was twenty weeks pregnant, he couldn't understand how she hadn't noticed it before; That same afternoon she started to read books about motherhood, about how to connect with a baby, about respectful parenting and many other recommended maternity and parenting books in forums and blogs, after a few days, she began to make lists about what to do and what she needed, twenty days later she was totally lost in her mind, and then collapsed, she had absorbed herself in her thoughts to the point that she had forgotten to eat, hadn't slept in more than a week and had finally fallen into what they called "The rabbit hole" ; A friend found her fainted in the apartment after she didn't return the calls, a couple of hours later Elizabeth was born. The first few weeks, Happy was sure she would go home with her, but after a few days, she realized that those were just theories, that raising a child was something bigger than just establishing facts, a genius mind, did nothing more than just establish facts.

"Hey." She didn't realize the moment the man had arrived. "You know this doesn't have to be like this," he said as he reached over to stroke her cheek. "I know you love her. "This is not about what I feel." She closed her eyes to keep some tears from escaping, assumed her hormones were revolutionized, she took a deep breath before continuing, "this is not about emotions, it's about facts, and the facts tell us that you can give her something that I can't. "I ..." he tried to say something but stopped when Happy put the little baby on his arms, she tried to pretend that her heart wasn't breaking into a thousand pieces and he tried to pretend he didn't notice.

"As long as she is fine and happy, I will know that I have made the right decision." Alex did something that he would never have done in his right mind, with his free arm he hugged Happy for a moment, and when she pulled away from his embrace his hand look for the delicate necklace that was on her neck, and followed him with his fingers until he found the ring that hung from him, for some reason he didn't even wonder why she will wear her wedding ring around her neck. "We have a deal".

"Til death do us part," he said, but he didn't look at Happy now, he was looking at Lizzy who was sleeping in his arms, he and Carl had agreed that Elizabeth was too big a name for such a small child, so they searched for a diminutive.