Chapter 7.- Hospital

The silence of the room was only interrupted by the loud sound of the tools colliding, again and again. Happy tried to be silent when moving the tools, Lizzy slept in the next room, the girl had a light sleep, but her attempt was not quite effective.

They had already been living in her apartment for a couple of days. Happy had taken care of eliminating any potentially dangerous product or chemical, however, it wasn't furnished as she wanted, there were still their meager little furniture, there was only one bed in one of the two rooms, a couple of wardrobemaking furniture and tools at the same time, plus a rustic table that she used more as a work table than to eat, there was also a kitchen with a small fridge, seen as a whole, it was quite similar to the garage, the place looked more like a workshop than a house, though it had never bothered her.
She had thought of redecorating and furnishing everything to make the apartment a suitable place for Lizzy, even though Sylvester had insisted that they could stay with him for as long as they wanted, but Toby, professionally speaking, had recommended that she move as soon as possible with the girl and begin to do the work of redecorating and furnishing the place together, which would strengthen the mother and daughter ties. Finally one day Happy agreed with the psychiatrist, the first few days were extremely difficult for both of them, nevertheless she was certain that the adaptation period would be harder for her than for Lizzy, although they had already been alone in Alex's house, it wasn't the same, in that house Lizzy was in her house, she was surrounded by her things, she had grown there; then came the hurried transfer to Los Angeles, and even then, although they were all day together, in the garage and the Sly's apartment, there were always more people, the young genius had become a great friend of the girl, Toby and Cabe had taken care to keep her busy when Happy had to deal with something important; But now they were alone at home, there was no third party to participate in a conversation or to divert the attention.

"Mom?!" Lizzy's voice echoed in the room.

"Over here!" Happy answered after a sigh, she still didn't get used to that word, she had been tempted several times to ask Lizzy to call her by her name "A nightmare?" She asked when she saw her appear, Lizzy was wearing ruffled hair and pink pajamas with blue letters.

"I don't remember what it was" she looked drowsy, she walked awkwardly, sat down next to the woman and leaned her head against her body, Happy was completely still for more than a minute, waiting for the girl to settle at her side, or to say or do something else, but Lizzy just curled up next to her and ran her small arms around her waist.

"Are you sure?" she put her tools aside, looked down and met the sad look of the child, she didn't need to know much human behavior to be sure that she was lying or you don't want to talk about it? The girl hid her face against her, letting her hair cover the rest.

"When will I see my dad?" Happy again was without words, not that she hadn't expected that question and didn't pretend to lie, but she was aware that she couldn't tell the truth that way to a girl, in moments like this she regretted not having learned more from Toby.

"If you want tomorrow we can call him", Happy finally said, the truth was that she hadn't heard anything from Alex since he and Carl had left home a couple of weeks ago, leaving her alone with the child, Happy believed that they would be desperate to hear from the little girl, but "Shock Therapy", as Alex called it, was necessary according to him and that meant that he had to give the girl to her from one moment to the next, without warning and let her learn as time progressed

"Can we invite him to come here?" Lizzy asked.

"How about we invite him when we've decorated everything?" Happy said, again there was no answer, for a moment she thought that she had fallen asleep, but no, she began to cry quietly and clung tightly to what was within reach, her mother "Come on Lizzy, please don't cry" Happy practically begged, she tried to comfort her massaging her back, but the girl was crying even harder. The minutes passed and Happy didn't know what to do, she thought to call Toby or Paige, to ask for help, but she knew she couldn't go to them every time Lizzy cried, Toby had explained that she was at a maturity level where she was developing her emotional nuances, Happy closed her eyes and thought of something that could calm her.