Chapter Six

I nodded and Chloe came over to inspect Ava. As she ran her hands over her body, making sure that I hadn't missed a spot (which I didn't), before she said," Have you ever ridden before?"

"No, I've never been near a horse before," I mumbled, my cheeks going red.

Chloe looked at me, but instead of looking shocked, she looked calm and cool about it.

"Well, first time for everything, right?" she grinned.

I laughed and nodded. Chloe led me into the tack room and showed me Ava's tack. She lifted a beautiful dark brown leather saddle off of a stand and I grabbed the bridle. Chloe showed me how to tackle Ava up and how to make sure that it was comfortable on her. Then, she led Ava out to a mounting block. She instructed me to get up onto the top step and place my left foot in the left stirrup as she lined Ava up. I did as I was told and swung my leg over Ava's back and sat down gently on her back. I felt her shudder underneath me but she didn't move.

"Gather up your reins," Chloe said, tightening my girth," Don't pull to hard on her mouth but don't give her too much head."

I held the reins about half was and Ava seemed happy with that.

"Give her a nudge with your legs and she'll move forwards," Chloe said.

I dug my feet into Ava's sides and she went forward quite quickly which shocked me.

"Just a nudge," Chloe snapped," That's all she needs, and if she doesn't respond, then you can give her a tap. She's not the kind of horse that needs to be kicked."

I blinked in response to Chloe's fierceness and how she didn't let anyone treat her horses in the wrong way. I gave Ava a nudge just as Chloe said and she went forward at a nice pace. I was so happy I lifted my hands too much for Chloe liking.

"Put your hands down," she instructed, walking beside Ava," And your elbows close to your sides. But don't be too tense. Horses can sense when your nervous or fearful and won't listen to your commands. Ava wouldn't do anything but you have to learn how to show her who's boss."

I nodded. I wanted to impress my crazy, daring, impossible cousin. I did exactly as she told me and she looked at me approvingly. It was the first signs of welcome and making me feel as if I belong. I followed her on Ava around the side of the barn to where the outdoor school was. She opened the gate and Ava walked in calmly.

"Walk around the sides," Chloe said as she shut the gate again," Follow the faint track if you can see it. Be sure not to cut the corners."

Yes, I could see it. I edged Ava onto it, marvelling at how I learned this so quickly. She seemed to listen to me very well. I had a marvellous lesson with Chloe. She taught me so well and I leant fast. We were only walking that day but at the end, Chloe promised that we would do some trotting tomorrow. As I drove Ava towards the gate, we suddenly heard a shriek of a horse and on one of the top fields on the hill, I saw a horse which looked like it was running for its life. There were several other creatures behind it. Foxes. I looked at Chloe who had saw them.

"Oh God," she cried and ran into the barn. I was about to follow her but then she came out riding a huge black thoroughbred stallion, Chester and Ranger. The thoroughbred had no tack at all. All Chloe had was a rope and a whip. She dug her heels into his sides and he sped off towards the hill at top speed. That horse was incredibly fast and, as I had expected, he and Chloe rode as one. He had the legs and speed and she had the brains. They chased after the horse and the foxes. I watched anxiously before Ava began to get impatient so I took her in. I untacked her, doing the exact opposite to what I had been shown when putting everything off, and put all of her stuff back. Then I noticed how sweaty she was and I decided to brush her down. When I had finished that and put her in her stall, I just paced and paced, waiting for Chloe to come back.