Chapter Twelve

We travelled up to London on week later to go to Dad's funeral. We went to Brighton to catch the train that went directly to London. Chloe did her maths over the weekend and worked out that if we got the ten o'clock train, we would get to the place where the funeral was being held at twelve, when it was to start. As we sat on the train, not talking, I saw something in Chloe's hands. It was a piece of paper with writing on it.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Nothing," she said, quickly," Just something I was going to slip into your father's jacket with your letter."

I sighed, not in the mood to argue. I was very grateful to Chloe for coming up with me, since she was so busy with the horses now. It was the very middle of when the foals were to arrive and Chloe had made a huge decision to leave them alone to come up to London. We reached the station with plenty of time to spare. Chloe, Archie and Elizabeth had never been to London before so it was a big difference to them. We found a cab station and instructed the cabbie to take us to St Paul's Church. We got there with fifteen minutes to go. There were a lot of people there who I didn't know. Having never been in London before, Elizabeth seemed to know a lot of people. I went to a seat with my name on it and sat down. Chloe was to sit next to me and Elliot on my other side. Chloe sat down next to me, without a word. She was still holding the piece of paper in her hand.

"What's that?" I asked again.

"Just something I've written for your father," Chloe said," I'm going to slip it in his jacket pocket when he comes out."

I nodded and said," Can I read it?"

Chloe looked at me and slowly passed me the letter. I opened it and it read:

Dear Uncle Ben,
                             Although it has only been a few days since I met your daughter but within those few days, I have gotten to know her and I think that you should know that she is so wonderful and talented and kind and I couldn't be luckier. I want you to know that I will always be there for her and that I will look after her since my father can't any more. I hope you have a good time with Dad and I'm very sorry that I wasn't able to meet you.
From your loving niece, Chloe xxx

A tear escaped from my eye and rolled down my face at Chloe's words. She had been so kind to me the last few days and I was so grateful to her but now that she had written this to my father in hope that he would read it made me feel so much better. I handed it back to her and hugged her tightly. When I pulled away, her face had gone a bright red and I let myself laugh a little. Suddenly, everyone began to sit down and the service began. When they bought Dad out in his coffin, it was the first time that I had seen him since the accident. As he lay there, cold and lifeless, I felt something rise out of me and I began to cry silently in my chair. Throughout the service, many people began to cry so I allowed myself to have a loud weep before everyone began to look at me. But I didn't care. I cried and cried and I couldn't stop. When it came to my turn to speak, I could barely get my words out. But I managed to finish and drag myself back to my seat. Then, Elizabeth went up and said a few words. A few other people went up and then the Vicar said," We now have Chloe Maxwell to say a few words."

I stared at my cousin. I didn't know that she was going to be speaking. She squeezed my hand and went up onto the stage to speak.

"Hello everyone," she said," Just to start, Ben Maxwell was my uncle, but sadly, I never met him. But about a week ago, I was lucky enough to meet his daughter, Amy and I know what pain she is going through, for I lost my father when I was younger and I miss him terribly. But I just want to say to Amy, just because your father is gone, you don't have to fret. Nothing lasts forever and sometimes we just have to let go. You will heal over time and I'll be there right beside you and I know that for a fact that your father will be too."

I smiled at her. She looked at the Vicar and he played a song on CD. Chloe was going to sing. I never knew she could sing. When she opened her mouth, I never knew that a voice like hers would sound so beautiful. I was transfixed and so was everyone else in the room. When she had finished, there was no clapping, no cheering, nothing. She just got down off of the stage and sat down next to me without another word. Then the Vicar continued to host the service. Once it had finished and everyone had gone outside. I watched Chloe slip back into the church to give her letter to my father. I was left alone in the graveyard, watching several men finish digging a hole to put his coffin in. I cried to think that I would never see my father again. Not much happened afterwards. Dad was lowered into the hole, it was covered up and some nice turf was laid across it. Then we left to go to the after party. I stayed for a while before being around a lot of people got the better of me and I ran off. I ran up onto a hill and watched the world pass by. I cried then, all alone on the hill. Well, I thought I was alone. I heard something behind me and turned around to see Chloe standing behind me. She opened her arms and offered a hug. I ran to her and she hugged me tightly.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"For what?" she asked.

"Everything," I replied.