The Bitter Truth

As soon as Lucy was in the care of the doctors Lockwood and Kipps went back to Fergus and his son, George stayed with Lucy so that she would have a familiar face to look at when she woke. It wasn't long until Lockwood was stomping straight through the door of that wretched house, Fergus and his son looked up at them, both thrashing around and cussing at Lockwood through their gags.

Lockwood took off Fergus's gag, Kipps keeping his rapier trained at the man's neck.

"Here is how this is going to work." Lockwood began. "If I could do things my way, you both would be going through the same things you did to Lucy, except it would be a hundred times worse, and after I was done with that. I'd feed you to the rats that so clearly infest this pile of rubble you call a house!" A devilish grin spread across Lockwood's face. "But," he sighed as he leaned back on his heels. "I am willing to show mercy and offer you a deal. You answer me a few small questions and I will only turn you into the police."

"Mercy?" The man's voice cracked out, he chuckled to himself. "You kids couldn't hit a fly with a fryin' pan much less torture us the way we tortured you're little, was it Lucy?" The boy grinned under his gag. "Funny, I don't think names ever came up as I watched my boy beat that girl senseless every night."

"That was probably the worst thing you could have said," Kipps said as Lockwood walked over to the boy, he pressed the tip of his sword against the kid's throat.

"Answer me or the boy gets it, it's what he deserves after what he did." A pinprick of blood trickled down the boy's neck.

"Fine you miserable shit. What do you want?" The man said irritably.

"Why did you take Lucy?"

"Took her to sell and to get you to stay away from the house."

"How did you get into the house?"

"Know my way around."

"Why were you there?"

"Revenge." He said bitterly.

"This is the first time I have ever seen you, so there is no way you were getting revenge on Lockwood & Co. the only other person you could be getting revenge on would be on Hugh Wright." Lockwood began to pace from Fergus to his son and back again and again. "From what information I was able to gather I know that you have always cared for the Wright family, you and Carson Wright were great friends and you were quite fond of Abigail Wright. However, you always hated Hugh. Am I correct?" Lockwood glanced to Fergus who was nodding, clearly unsure of where this was going.

"You began to show feelings of hate towards Carson however around his twenties as he told me, upon further investigation it became clear to me that he married Abigail around that time, you didn't hate him but you were jealous of him. You loved Abigail didn't you?"

"What's this got to do with anything?" Lockwood's face dropped a bit, what did this have to do with anything? Then he remembered the specific question he wanted to ask and the anger he had for Fergus and his son bubbled and boiled beneath his surface.

"You loved Abigail." Lockwood repeated to himself, "Love is a dangerous thing, it can make you do crazy things. Like have an affair, you and Abigail were having an affair and that's why you hated Hugh because he wasn't your child. You then, however, got Abigail pregnant and there's her second son." Lockwood pointed at the child who stuck his tongue out at him.

"You don't have the right to talk about mum!" He shouted.

"That night you did have Abigail by the neck didn't you, but you weren't choking her you were kissing her. When Hugh saw this he was scared and confused, to this day he still thinks you killed her but it was really her own husband that murdered her! In a fit of rage and jealousy, he killed her and left you to take the blame."

The boy had tears running down his muddy face, his father looked away defiantly.

"Yeah, he killed her. Who'd believe me though and why does it matter any more. She's gone."

"And you blame Hugh don't you," Lockwood paced from wall to wall deep in thought, his eyebrows furrowing with each syllable, his rage only intensifying. "It's all his fault in your mind and that's why you were at his house that night, you were setting lose Visitors in hopes of killing him."

"Spot on kid." He said miserably. "Why are you asking? Why do you care?" Lockwood slammed his fist against a wall, wood cracked and splintered, rats and bugs scurried away.

"I still don't know why you took my Lucy! Why did you take her? What did she ever do to you? Why her? Why did you have to torture her? What is wrong with you! She never deserved this!" Lockwood's face was bright red, his eyes ablaze. Even Kipps had jumped back from his outburst.

"You were in my way. I needed to kill Hugh and you were in my way, I thought I could scare you off."

"That's no excuse! You still didn't have to torture her! Don't worry though, I'll do her right. I'll leave you and your son here to rot for a few days before we call the authorities, that should teach you for messing with Lockwood & Co.!" With that Lockwood nodded at Kipps signaling him to tighten their bonds and fix their gags. After he saw to it they left, shutting the door tight before getting into a cab and going to see Lucy. Despite Lockwood's threat Kipps called the police as soon as they got to the hospital.