Prologue.

I was losing oxygen as my chest heaved up and down.

Dying? No. Pissed? Yes.

Salty tears streamed down my face as I swiped them angrily. "How could you do this to me?"

He blinked multiple times. Seemed almost like he was shocked himself; as if he didn't realize he was capable of such a thing. "I... I..." he stammered.

I could feel my stomach turning. I clenched it hard, thinking it would stop the pain but it only escalated, of course. "Tell me! What were you thinking?" I shrieked, moving closer to him.

His eyes finally met mines, blinking tears away. His eyes were glossy and I could see the strong apology in his eyes which I wasn't paying no attention to.

"Jesus Christ," I muttered, taking a seat.

"I was trying to protect you."

My gaze darted at him. "I told you I was fine! Why didn't you just leave when I asked you to? Now look what you did."

His eyes grew wide at my response. "Mel, I was protecting you. He was hurting you. I was just trying to help and you're angry with me about that? Yo, I fucking love you and told you I always got you, regardless-"

"Save it, Pierce," a soft voice interrupted. I turned to see Ailani walk up beside him. She crossed her arms over her chest. "You've done enough."

"Do you see her?!" he viciously pointed to me, "he nearly fucked her mind up! She can't even think straight!"

"Chill."

"Chill?! What is wrong with y'all? I leave for a couple of months and come back now everybody is 'oh so cool' with somebody that's manipulating y'all so called friend?" Everyone was either looking at him or the floor, too ashamed to meet his gaze. "How could y'all let this happen to her?"

"Pierce-" I tried to speak.

"And more importantly," he turned to me, "how did you let your guard down? We had a deal." Silence filled the small room once again. He sighed and took a seat across from me. "I'm sorry. My mistake for trying to keep you out of harms way."

Those were the last words spoken. Everyone just kept to themselves until a nurse and a doctor walked in the room causing everyone to snap back to reality. "Family of Karson McNeil?"

Rick stood up, walking towards them. "Uh, his parents are on their way back to town now. But I'm his cousin, Ricky. Everyone else are friends."

I could hear Pierce huff to himself.

"Hello, Ricky. I'm Dr. Taylor. Could we speak to you in private, sir?" she asked.

"Is it too private to tell everyone?" he winced.

Dr. Taylor looked at the nurse before her lips pressed together. She slowly nodded before clasping her hands together. "Mr. McNeil lost a large amount of blood due to the gunshot wound and was in and out of consciousness the whole trip here. He lost conscious by the time he made it to the hospital." She paused and signed. "I'm sorry to inform that..."

Her words were a blur from there as I felt my hands run through my hair. Tears started flowing heavily.

What turned into a summer fling, turned to something more and now this.

How could I let this happen?