Chapter One.

Melanie Evans above.

***

What a bittersweet moment.

I looked over my empty single dorm room. Freshman year went by so quick all I had left of it was the many memories I made. My eyes slowly fell to the floor, remembering when Cash was so over with, her drunk ass fell out on the floor. She slept there the whole night. I cracked a small smile, giggling to myself.

I looked at a spot on the wall that was across the room where Rick threw up at. We tried so hard to get him to the bathroom that night. He wouldn't budge from the wall at all. That too, I giggled at remembering how pissed he was the next morning seeing his barf on his shoes.

I'm sure all my friends have been in my room drunk and crashed here. It never failed.

I never really got drunk but smoking was definitely my thing.

Marijuana, of course.

I sighed once I felt a hand touch my back. Looking over, my mom gave me a small smile. "You'll be back in three months. I can tell you had a lot of fun." That she was right about. "Your dad finished packing the truck."

I nodded, letting her know I was right behind her. She walked off and took one last scan of my room before closing the door behind me.

It's been real 240B.

Two hours into the drive, we made a pit stop at a gas station in Columbia. We only had another hour to go and I was so relieved.

I hated road trips.

I looked at my phone to see that Pierce texted me saying: Hey beautiful. I'm sure you're sleep but I was just checking on you to make sure you're good. Let me know when you get home and I'll come see you if you want.

I blushed a little. He always had that affect on me.

Pierce and I have been dating for nine months; August will make it a year. We met at orientation at our University and for those two days that we were there, we got close instantly. We didn't see each other for the rest of the summer, but the FaceTime calls made up for it. About a week into August last year, he spilled his feelings for me. And by the end of August when we were all moved in, he asked me to be his girlfriend.

I said yes with no hesitation.

I read the text again and replied: Of course I want you to come see me! We'll be back in an hour. We made a pit stop.

Pierce: Lol okay baby. Just let me know.

Me: Okay boo.

Pierce is in Charlotte for the summer, but he technically lives in Georgia. Coincidentally, his dad told him he was staying in Charlotte for the next two months and asked if he wanted to come. I talked him into it. He was a momma's boy and I knew being away from her would kill him slowly, but he said he'll pull through for me.

I walked into the gas station, examining the snacks. What do I want? I settled on the purple bag of Doritos, a Reese's and a bottle of water. I took it to the cashier and waited for her to ring up everything for me.

"Four dollars and fifty two cents."

I started to pull out a five with exact change but my dad stopped me. "I got it."

"I don't think you know how much I love to hear those words," I told him. "Broke college student phase." I got a laugh out of him and the cashier.

My parents spoiled me so bad but once I left for school, I gave them a lecture about how I wanted to go through most of this college experience on my own. Meaning, I didn't want them to pamper me through both semesters.