chapter 3

The Sisters of Quiet Mercy had organized a visit, in order for "rehabilitive entertainment." I knew better. The two groups of guards had an annual poker game, one which they weren't too subtle about. This was literally the only reason we had been grouped together.

The atmosphere breathed awkwardness. One of the girls from the Sisters of Quiet Mercy was screeching and scribbling in what could either be red paint or blood on the pristine white table. Quite frankly, I didn't want to know.

Another was rocking herself back and forth, mumbling about some guy named Spot who was stalking her. I didn't want to know about that either.

The only remotely normal looking person was a girl sitting primly on the end of the table. With long, blonde hair and eyes that pierced through my soul, I couldn't tell if she was supposed to be there or not. Something about her, in general, seemed off.

Then, she looked right in my direction, and said, "We need to talk." Once again, I had no idea who this woman was, but she was speaking to me like we'd known each other our entire lives. She stood herself up, and, well, how do I say this?

She either had an alien tumor protruding from her stomach, or she was pregnant. I preferred the latter option, personally.

She gestured towards the door, and I figured, why not? It wasn't like there was anything better to do here. I followed her, as she slammed the door shut.

"Who are you?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

She gave a snort, and replied with. "Polly Cooper. And you?"

"Bob Duncan. Is it even legal for you to be here? I mean..." I gestured towards her stomach, not knowing how else to explain things.

More snorting. She really liked to snort. I didn't see any cocaine anywhere though. "Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But when you're in the Cooper family, do they really care?"

I couldn't say. I had absolutely no idea who the Coopers were, and quite frankly, it seemed like something that would be much more suited for a teen drama about the intricacies of small town life, with murders, awkward musical numbers, and family dynasties. That was just a thought, however.

She was making progress. Instead of snorting, she huffed. "Well, my boyfriend Jason hasn't broken me out yet, so I need to take matters into my own hands. Care to help?"

As I was about to reply with a sound, Are you mad? I heard the distinct yodel of one of the Sisters, calling all the girls back to the dinky, smelly school bus they always arrived in.

"We'll meet again, Bob Duncan." She gave a wink, and skipped out into the hallway, leaving me to question one, how she was skipping while pregnant, and two, how soon I was actually going to make it out of here. The Sisters only visited once a year, right?

Right?