My Sour Sixteen

Chapter 17

I wriggle beneath my clothes as I pull them trying to find comfort in the restricting fabric.

"Does it have to be a corset top?" I ask.

"Yes," my mom says, "it's the latest style for all Sweet Sixteens."

I sigh and turn toward the full length mirror and gape at my reflection. While restricting, the corset top is bejeweled with little rhinestones in intricate patterns. The skirt of the ballgown dress, which was impossible to get on alone, flows gracefully. I do a turn and the fabric dances with me. The color is exquisite. The skirt is mainly white with a gold transparent layer a top. The corset top is gold as well making the white rhinestones pop even more. I look like a Disney princess and feel like a radiant goddess.

"You look so beautiful. Just wait until we do something with your hair," my mom says moving a stray hair out of my face. The moment is gone as I look up at my greasy hair and my bun attempting to hide it and I suddenly feel dirty.

I put a fake smile on and tell her, "This is it. This is the one."

"Great. We'll buy it then grab some lunch how does that sound?"

I nod my head glad we aren't buying shoes yet. My feet still hurt from practice yesterday.

We stop at my favorite sandwich shop and I can't help but think of the times I've been here with the Davenports. The time Bree took me here to cheer me up after the breakup. When Chase stayed after cheerleading for a date when we hadn't gotten the chance to talk that week. Nothing but good memories here.

And now one bad.

We sit in my favorite booth which has a perfect view of the dog park across the street.

My mom jumps right in with the worst conversation starter. "So who's your escort?"

The first name that comes into my head is Chase. I do want him to meet my parents considering the fact we said the L word. Yet, I'm afraid of what they'll think of us. Of him. I'm not ashamed to be seen with him for I  L word him. It's just that being raised in a basement doesn't create the best social skills and my parents first impression is everything to them. There is no second chances.

"I just figured Dad would-" I begin.

"Oh, sweetie," she says in a motherly patronizing way, "it must be a boy around your age. Someone handsome perhaps a boyfriend?"

Ever since Max and I broke up my parents have been on my case about my love life. They were high school sweethearts so they expect me to have my own. I do I just doubt they'll approve. I don't dare mention any of this aloud. I just file it away under more secrets I have to hide from my parents.

"I mean I guess there's Adam," I think aloud.

"Ooh, who's Adam?" My mom asks.

"He's just a friend," I say even though he's like a brother to me. He's also tall, athletic, and handsome. The three things my parents hold dear to their hearts.

My mom excitedly clap her hands, "I can't to meet him. So he'll be your escort?"

"Sure," Somehow this won't end well.

The next day at school, I shove invitations into random popular people's lockers, especially people like Stephanie and Trent unfortunately. But I make the effort to hand deliver them to the Davenports.

"Why am I only hearing of this sweet 16 now?" Bree screeches.

"That's probably why," quips Leo.