Chapter 18

Jen’s POV

Kat had been locked in her room for hours. Maddy and I sat outside in the hall in silence deciding when the best time to break in is. Louis’ words killed her. We know what's coming next, she just needs to get up, pull herself together and say something. That way, her and Louis can finally be happy together and Niall can move on.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out.

‘Hey babe. I'm off today. Are you still coming to the barbeque?’

I sighed and leaned my head back against the wall.

“What's up?”

“Declan invited me to his friend’s house for a barbeque last week. I wasn't going to go because he said he had to work. Now he doesn't have to work and wants to know if I'll still go with him.”

“And do you want to go?”

I shrugged. “I want to see him. Not necessarily his friends. And I don't want to leave Kat.”

“She’ll understand if you leave, Jen.”

I groaned as I stood up and pulled the bobby pin from my hair. “I won't let myself live it down though if I leave today without at least giving her a piece of my mind.” I stuck the pin into the doorknob and twisted it around until the lock popped.

Maddy gasped. “You know how to do that on these doors?”

I nodded. “Yeah. Kat did it to my door two weeks ago.”

“Oh.” She giggled. “Okay, so we should go in now, right?”

“I’m going to go in alone first. When I leave, she’s all yours.”

“Sounds good.”

I gave her a small smile before turning the doorknob and walking into her room. I glanced at the bed but didn’t see her lying there like I thought I would. As I tried to push the door wide open, it was stopped. I looked behind the door to see Kat lying on the floor. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face was red and puffy.

Shutting the door, I knelt beside her. Her eyes met mine and it literally broke my heart seeing my best friend hurting inside. The blonde moved to rest her head on my leg and I began to rub her back.

“Hi bae.” She croaked.

“Hey. What are you thinking?”

She sighed. “That I don’t want to ever show my face in this house again.”

I bit my lip to suppress a dramatic sigh. “Kat?”

“Hmm?”

“You know your choice. You know what will make you happier than anything in the world. You just need to get up, maybe shower, and then go face that. He loves you. You know he does. We all do.”

“What about the other?”

I sighed. “He’ll understand, Kat. It might take him awhile, but he’ll be okay.”

“I never wanted to hurt anybody.” She cried softly.

“Bae, it’s okay. Shit happens.” I chuckled lightly.

It gained a small chuckle from her and she sat up. “You’re right.”

“Um, hate to do this to ya, but I’m leaving for the day. Declan wants me to go to a barbeque with him.”

“Have fun.” Kat smiled as we stood up.

I chuckled. “I’ll try.” I gave her a short hug. “I’ll be home later. Maddy said she’ll come keep you company. Love you.”