Chapter 5: Anger

The next few weeks go by similarly to the first two days of school. Jayla continues to be a jerk, and Gabriela continues to be a great friend. I often find my locker trashed, my pencil case spilled, mean notes in my locker. Whatever Jayla does to me, she does worse to Gabriela. She seems to take some savage pride in making us miserable. I could tell Gabriela is upset, even though she seems happy on the outside. It makes me sick to think that Jayla could bully such a nice girl.

The teachers never find out who wrote the note. I ignore Jayla as much as possible, but her words and actions sting like bees.

So why do I put up with it?

Because Jayla has built a "Perfect Little Angel" reputation with all the teachers. If I told, they wouldn't believe me, and then Jayla would torment me and Gabriela even more. It hurts, what Jayla is doing, but if I told it would only be ten times worse.

It is becoming autumn, and the dark green leaves of my maple tree are turning bright red. Every afternoon I sit underneath the tree or on my swing to read, write, draw, text Gabriela, or think. Every day at school, Jayla torments us. Anonymous notes are sent to my locker. My supplies are stolen or broken. I am tripped and pushed in the hall. I try not to react, but I am being abused. Jayla made me look weak. Other kids laugh at me, and sometimes join in.

It has been six weeks since the start of school. I am miserable, but at home I act content. One chilly Friday in October, I am sitting underneath my tree when my phone starts ringing, a cheerful sparkly ringtone that I set for Gabriela. I answer it.

"Hola, Esperanza," Gabriela says. "How are you?"

"Good, you?"

"All right. Can you come to my house this weekend?"

"Sure, I think I can come over tomorrow morning. Let me ask." I dash inside and ask Papa, who agrees without looking up from his work. I relay this to Gabriela, and we decide on a time.

The next morning I ride my bicycle to Gabriela's house, which is relatively close to mine. We play Spanish Scrabble and drew pictures together. I stay for almost three hours, until Mom calls me home.

On Sunday, I am scrolling through my Facebook messages when a notification pops up on my phone. Gabriela Cardenas has sent you a private message! Click here to read.

Funny. She never told me she has a Facebook account. I click the link and read the message. My mouth drops open.

I know you thought we were friends, but we're not. You're really a jerk and I wish I'd never met you! I hate you! Goodbye and I hope I never lay eyes on you again!

I burst into tears. I bury my face in my pillow and cry. How could Gabriela say that? After all the fun we'd had yesterday? I am heartbroken. Then I was angry. If she doesn't want to be my friend, so be it.

I block her on Facebook so that I can't get messages from her. Later, Gabriela calls me on the phone. I ignore the call. I receive another message even though I blocked her. You're a stupid, good-for-nothing, stuck-up, miserable excuse for a friend. Stay away from me at school, or else.

The words hurt more than anything Jayla has ever said to me.

On Monday morning, who should appear at my shoulder but Gabriela herself.

"Hey, amiga!" she says cheerfully, smiling as if nothing has happened. I turn away.

"You didn't answer my phone call yesterday," she persists. 

I face her. "Will you go away?" I snap. "I thought you didn't want to be my friend anyway!"

Gabriela looks shocked. "W-what?" she stuttered. I shake my head and storm away.

I sit at the far side of the cafeteria from our usual table. I eat my lunch alone, fuming. I can't believe Gabriela would write a message like that and then pretend she hasn't done anything. She was the only person who was nice to me since Jocelyn left for Mexico. I remember what she said to me and vow never to speak to her again.