Chapter 2: Regret

Jayla straightens and smiles as Mr. Davis turns back to the class. "All right, everyone look at your-- yes, Jayla?"

Jayla grabs a piece of paper from beneath her desk and asks, "Can I get a tissue, please?"

Mr. Davis smiles. "Of course. Thanks for asking, but you don't need to ask to get a tissue. Anyway, take out your schedule and check your locker number." I fumble underneath the desk, but my paper is gone. "We're going to receive our locks in a few minutes. Then y'all can put your books and backpacks in your lockers. Esperanza, what's up?"

"I can't find my schedule-- it was right here under my desk."

Mr. Davis frowns. "I did hand it to you, right?"

"Yeah, and I put it right--" I stop. I've just noticed Jayla at the trash can, tearing a piece of paper into tiny pieces. She throws the pieces away and returns to the desk, dropping a scrap of paper on my desk. I look at it. In black letters it reads Esperanza Arce, Grade 7.

"That's okay, Esperanza," Mr. Davis says. "I have all the locker numbers written down, and I can print out another schedule." He checks his notebook and said, "Esperanza, you're number 3-5-1-6. I'll get you another schedule as soon as I can. Let's get moving, everyone!"

He hands each of us a lock. I write down my combination on the first page of one of my notebooks. I take my binders and notebooks out of my backpack and put them in my locker. I stand on my tiptoes to put my lunch bag in the compartment on top of my locker. I organize my pencils and erasers neatly into my pencil case. Jayla's locker is right next to mine-- lucky me. I hate alphabetical order.

As I walk back to my desk, a mysterious Jayla foot appears in front of me. I trip and fall on my face, to the amusement of my fellow classmates. (Third time today, not that I'm keeping track.) My pencil case flies open and sends art supplies in every direction. Mr. Davis conveniently misses Jayla tripping me, but he sees me on the ground and says, "Esperanza, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I mutter, glaring at Jayla. To tell the truth, after being tripped or pushed three times, my back is starting to hurt.

Mr. Davis writes on the board: CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS

"Any suggestions?"

A kid yells, "Don't break people's stuff!" Mr. Davis writes Respect people's belongings.

"Raise your hand!"

"Be nice to people!"

"Follow the Golden Rule!"

"Try your best!"

We make a poster of the expectations and decorate it. We do other classroom activities until lunch. Everyone walks to the cafeteria and chooses seats. I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I sit alone. Jayla is in the lunch line near a girl named Cassie, I believe. They watch me, whispering and giggling. My birthday has been a disaster so far, and I hope it will improve.

Wishful thinking.

Jayla bugs me for the rest of the day. I am so desperate for the day to be over. When the dismissal bell rings, I make a run for the door and Jayla trips me again. My pencil case falls again, and I find three of my brand-new pencils broken. I clean up my pencil case, runs out of the classroom, unlock my locker, grab my backpack, and slam the door. I don't bother to lock the locker on my way out. I want to be out of school as soon as possible.

"How was school, sweetheart?" Mom asks me as I walk in the door.

"Fine," I say casually, dumping my backpack on the floor.

"Nope, that's not going to work," Mom chides. "Hang up your backpack-- there's a good girl."

I hang up my bag and dig my cell phone out of the pocket. I text my friend Jocelyn, who moved to Mexico last year.

Esperanza: hola, como estas?

Jocelyn: bien, today was my first day of school

Esperanza: me too, how was it?

Jocelyn: good, u?

Esperanza: ok

Jocelyn: y just ok?

Esperanza: one girl= complete jerk. no big deal.

Jocelyn: oof sorry to hear. gtg, adios! Text me tmrw!

Esperanza: u bet! Adios!

I turn off my phone and sigh. I can't even bring myself to tell my best friend.