1

John groaned and reached his hands up to rub his eyes, opening them to see the same old grey roof. He rolled over and saw the same old wall, with the same old desk and chair. Above his desk hung a mural of artwork and sketches, varying from drawings of his friends, to the beach, to lots and lots of turtles.

"LAURENS!" A shrill yell echoed from outside his cell door. John sighed and sat up, meeting Lafayette's eyes peering in through the glass-slit window in his cell door.
"YOU HAVE MY MUG!" Lafayette yelled, pounding on the door. John groggily glanced to his desk and saw Lafayette's french-flag mug perched on the corner.
"Use Herc's." John mumbled, flopping back in bed.
"John Laurens." Lafayette warned.
"FINE." John gave in, rolling out of bed and swooping Lafayette's mug up in his clammy palms. He threw open his cell door and handed Lafayette the mug, pushing past him and into the shared kitchen area between all their cells.

"Thank you," Lafayette smiled sweetly, his french accent sickeningly sweet. John muttered a mock 'thank you' under his breath in a squeaky french accent. "I heard that Laurens," Lafayette warned.
"Good." John finished, walking to the kitchen sink and pulling his mug out. John's mug had a dolphin on it, because there weren't any turtles.

He made himself a quick coffee before moving back to his room, not another word said to either of his cell mates Lafayette or Hercules. He glanced in the tiny plastic mirror on his wall and growled when he saw his hair. That just wasn't going to cut it.

John snatched up a hair tie from his desk and wrapped his hair in a low bun before collapsing backwards onto his desk chair, coffee in hand.

He was just about to take his first sip when he heard the familiar click he despised every day. Following the click was a loud bang and then the grinding of metal on metal while the bars that held him, Lafayette and Hercules captive were slid away.

But something wasn't right, it was too early for breakfast, they were only let out at 8am, and according to the clock in their common area it was 6:25am.
"Laurens, beside your door please," A chipper voice echoed through the cell. John sighed and stood from his seat, carrying his coffee out and leaning against his door when he stepped outside. He met Samuel Seabury's eyes, the head of correctional staff. His eyes looked bright and excited, like a 5 year old at Christmas, as freaking usual.

"Why are we all out so early?" Hercules asked from where he stood patiently beside his room door.
"You've got a new cell mate." Seabury smiled, turning towards the large bars that were now open to allow a new figure to step in. He was small, with shoulder-length dark brown hair and big wonderous eyes, the bags under them not so glorious. He hugged his bedsheets to his chest but when he noticed everyone looking at him he tried to straighten up a bit, fixing his posture to appear bigger than he really was.

'He looks like a smart ass' John thought to himself.

"Hamilton, Alexander, your cell," Seabury introduced, leading Alex to his room. "And Laurens, Washington wants to speak with you,"

John panicked a little before collecting himself. He had been on his best behaviour it couldn't be anything bad.
"Let's go," Seabury instructed with a small smile, waving John to follow him. As John passed Alex he slapped him on the butt, not looking back.
"HEY!" Alex yelped, jumping forward.
"Welcome to the fiery pits of hell, Hamilton." John laughed on his way out. The guy seemed alright, but he had an aura as if he was the smartest person in the room, and it made John feel slightly insecure. He would be interested to see what the kid was in for.

John followed Seabury through the quiet corridors of the Prison. As they met the end of each hallway Seabury had to scan his ID card to open the door. Soon they arrived at Washington's office, where Levi Weeks was being escorted out by another officer.

On his way past Levi spat at John, and he recoiled in disgust.
"Charming," John muttered in response.
"I'll slit yer' neck Laurens," Levi shouted over his shoulder. The officer grabbed him roughly and spun him back around, shoving him in the direction he was meant to be moving.

John stepped inside the office calmly and met a pair of steely cold eyes. When Washington registered who he was his eyes softened and a small smile graced his features.
"Laurens, take a seat,"

John meekly wandered towards his desk and sat down, his hands cuffed in his lap.
"Get rid of these," Washington ordered Seabury, motioning towards the cuffs. John smiled in gratitude as Seabury unlocked the cuffs. "Now, John," George began, placing his hands on his desk in preparation for his preposition.

"Is everything alright Governor? I've been on my best beha-" John began to speak before George cut him off.
"Mr Washington, please, and yes John you've been very well behaved, especially after your incident with Mr Weeks." Washington mentioned, raising a brow. John gulped, flashing back to his own head slamming into the shower wall. "Aside from that, on account of your good behaviour, I have chosen to ask you about a small task," George continued.

"And what might that be?" John asked, intrigued.
"Hamilton, your new cell mate, you've met yes?" Washington asked.
"Briefly," John muttered, rolling his eyes at the boy's over-confident demeanour.
"He is here on remand, awaiting trial for murder," Washington spoke, leaning forward slowly in his seat but his voice never faulting. John's eyes widened at that, expecting maybe drug possession or wreck less endangerment, but that little guy committing murder? Unimaginable.

John's reaction must have made his feelings towards Alex's time in prison evident to Washington because he agreed.
"I know," George spoke quietly.
"Do you think he did it?" John spoke just above a whisper.
"In all honesty? I have no clue. I've seen a lot of criminals in my time here, but he is unreadable, which is why I need you," George spoke.
"Me?" John asked in disbelief.

"Laurens I would need you to talk to Alex, try to pump as much as you can out of him, and then admit a lag as an anonymous witness." Washington breathed.
"What," John spluttered.
"You would nee-"
"No no I heard you the first time, but say this guy is guilty, and then he gets time here knowing that my case assessment is what got him thrown here? I'd be next on his hit list!" John explained, flailing his hands wildly to express with his words.

"Laurens you would be completely safe if he was guilty, but if you do this for us, we can do something for you," George began to propose. John squinted and leaned forward, intrigued. "Time off your sentence,"

"I've got 10 years left here, what is a few months off my sentence gonna do for me?" John shrugged, leaning back in his chair.
"3 years off," Washington cut in. John paused, dumbfounded, 3 years. He thought for a moment, considering pros and cons, shuffling them in his mind like a deck of cards. Fuck it.

"I'll do it." John decided standing up and raising his hand.

"Thank you, Laurens, welcome on board,"