Chapter 2: Consequences

(Moons Later)

"There you go! You got it!"

Skylar's eyes gleamed in the sunlight as she watched Gunner dart back and forth against the fence. He was so close that his fur was nearly ripped off from the fence. He had the exact same discipline that he had to running that he had to being a bomb sniffing dog. He threw his head back and forth slightly as he stalked forward.

Suddenly, his shoulder locked up and he stumbled forward. His shoulder slammed into the ground harshly. He let out a growl of pain as Skylar darted toward him.

"Gunner, are you alright," fretted Skylar as she started sniffing around him.

Gunner hated the attention around him and he couldn't help but bare his teeth. "I'm fine," he snapped in embarrassment at Skylar seeing him present so much weakness.

Skylar leaped back, but she didn't take her eyes off of him. "I'm not sure about that," she confessed as she tilted her head. "That looked like a nasty fall. Didn't that hurt?"

"I'm fine," repeated Gunner as he pushed himself to his paws. He fell back down with his eyes glowing in agony. "Just give me a minute."

Skylar sat beside him, sprawling herself to the side. Her eyes were filled in sympathy. "You're not going back you know, not anymore."

"What are you talking about," asked Gunner as he spiraled his head around madly.

"I mean that you're not going back over seas," Skylar replied.

Gunner allowed a growl to roll in his throat. "And why do you think that?! I'll get better," he snarled with his ears drawn back against his head. "I know that I will."

"It's not just your shoulder. You cry in your sleep and have these weird twitchy things that you go through. There's no way that they're going to allow you back into a war zone," Skylar told him as their eyes met finally.

Gunner felt anger, confusion, and spite all burn inside his stomach. He wasn't even sure how to react to what he was feeling. All that he knew was that he had to go back. It was his duty. It was all that he knew. It was all that he had been bred for. There was nothing else in his life except for that.

"No," yowled Gunner as he darted to his paws.

He took one fleeting step before Gunner immediately collapsed. Gunner gasped in pain and thrashing around. He growled to himself as he tried to control his breathing and his emotions. He knew that he was doing a terrible job as he struggled to continue forward. "I need to go back!"

Skylar gave him a moment before she came to his side, thrusting her shoulder under his to stop him from moving. "It's alright," she chided gently. She touched her nose to his ear and he turned to look at her. "There's other things beside the military. They'll rehabilitate you and then they'll see where the best fit is for you. Trust me, this isn't the end. This is just the beginning."

Gunner wasn't sure about that. He didn't want his career to be over. "What about you? Are you ever going to go back and fight," he asked.

Skylar helped him sit up before she shook her head. "No, not me. I'm not 'designated for battle' anymore," she explained as she rose to her full height and Gunner muttered as he did the same. His entire body ached and he wonder how fast infection could spread through him.

"That doesn't mean that I just have to give up and neither are you," murmured Skylar as she took a step. Gunner didn't have a choice, other than stepping with her. He looked at her quizzically. "See? You're not a lost cause at all, Gunner."

"Hmm, I don't know about that," muttered Gunner as he continued with Skylar doing most of the work. She helped him with each step forward and the pain wasn't as bad with Skylar's help.

Skylar laughed when Gunner managed to take a few steps on his own. He didn't place his entire weight on his shoulder, but she was getting there. "Now that's what I'm talking about," joked Skylar as she dipped her head to him. "With that new determination we're going to teach you how to walk, run, fight, and do whatever else you need to do again."

"Oh, really? And why would you help me," challenged Gunner with his ears twitching.

Skylar thrust her muzzle an inch from his. "Contrary to popular belief, I care about you, Gunner. How could I not? I've been living with you for a little while now. You're my only friend and it helps past the time to help you."

Skylar then bounded forward and lowered into a crouch with her haunches wiggling. "What are you doing," called Gunner as he struggled to stand.

"Walk over to me and don't fall and I'll let you ask one question and I have to answer it," Skylar called as her claws sunk into the ground.

Interest showed on Gunner's voice. He licked his lips in determination as he forced himself forward. He struggled not to fall. He gulped in pain, but he couldn't collapse. He didn't want Skylar to think that he was weaker than she probably already thought of him.

Skylar let out a bark as she looked to her. "There you go! You're almost to me!"

Gunner actually smiled, a genuine smile. He didn't smile all that much and Skylar knew that. Gunner continued forward and he managed to come up to Skylar's side. He nearly tripped over his paw as he finally looked to Skylar.

Skylar helped him from falling over and she laughed as she helped him stand. "Wow, not bad," she praised as she looked into his eyes. "So, I offered you one question and I have to answer it. So, what till it be?"

Gunner thought for a moment, but he already had the question in his mind. "Will you go out on a date with me?"

"A date," echoed Skyar.

Gunner felt the stupidest that he'd ever felt. "Er, it's stupid, never mind," he growled gruffly.

Skylar leaped in front of Gunner and looked into his eyes. "No, it's not. I was just surprised. I'd love to go on a date with you." She suddenly leaned forward and licked his forehead.

Gunner looked at her in surprise, unable to know exactly how she felt about him. He wasn't even sure how he felt about Skylar. She was special, unlike any she-dog that he had ever met. He wasn't sure if he was mixing his admiration for affection. He would find out soon enough.

"Does that answer your question," asked Skylar as she flicked her tail against his flank. "How about right now? We have about an hour before they force us in."

Gunner was so shocked by her kiss that he just managed a nod. The two walked side by side and talked. Gunner felt that he could do this for hours. He had never spoken so much in his life. When he was with her he just felt like everything was going to be alright, even if he couldn't head back to the place that he called home.

The two ended their 'date' by laying on their backs on the grass. They looked up to the sky and the stars that glittered the sky above them. Skylar rumbled in enjoyment as she stretched her paw upward. "How did you get the name, Gunner?"

"I guess it's a military name. I was given it when I was a pup," answered Gunner shortly. He really didn't know why he had been give then name that he had been given.

Skylar nodded slowly. "Cool. My commander's kid named me," she explained before she sat up, Gunner struggling doing the same. "Do you think that we're going to split up when we finally get back?"

Gunner hadn't thought of that. He mentally berated himself for not thinking about it sooner. "They wouldn't," argued Gunner with a growl. "I wouldn't let them."

Skylar smiled as she touched her nose to Gunner's ear. "No matter what happens, we'll make it work. I'm sure that we will. We're smart enough to do some."

Gunner was glad that they were both so calm. Skylar's calm made Gunner relax even more. "You're right. We will," he agreed."

As the two sat there, Skylar rested her head against his shoulder and sighed heavily. Gunner intertwined his tail with hers and closed her eyes. Nothing could disrupt this moment, or could it?