Chapter Seven: Return to Neverland

"Jane: She tried to kill me!

Peter Pan: She's just jealous. All girls get like that around me.

Jane: Oh, how very nice for you."

~Return to Neverland, 2002

Chapter Seven: Return to Neverland

Wendy knocked silently on the secret door. She had snuck a loaf of bread from the dinner table to give to Bae. Bae carefully opened the door and took the bread.

"Thank you so much Wendy," he said between mouthfuls. Wendy watched him eat. She thought it was exciting. Wendy just assumed that Bae had always lived on the streets, and she couldn't imagine living without parents. Bae had told her stories of running from police officers and sneaking into wealthy homes for bread. She had never met someone so intriguing, well, except for one boy.

Wendy tried her hardest to eliminate the memory of Neverland. Whenever she thought of her journey, it just made her feel depressed. She tried to convince herself that it was all a dream, but she held right to her thimble throughout the day, and she knew that it wasn't. Bae finished the loaf of bread within two minutes.

"You eat like a pig, Baelfire." Wendy laughed. Bae laughed too, and wiped his mouth with his sleeve.

"How would you know? You probably haven't even seen one!" Baelfire laughed at Wendy. Wendy brushed a crumb off of Bae's cheek.

"Missed a spot," she whispered, and Bae stopped laughing. They just looked at each other for a brief moment, but it felt like a lifetime. Wendy broke the silence, "I have too seen a pig...In my books." Bae laughed again.

"Goodnight, Wendy Darling." Baelfire said. Wendy noticed that the way he said her name was eerily familiar, but she ignored it.

"Goodnight, Baelfire." Wendy smiled, then closed the door.

*********

Wendy laid in her bed that night, unable to sleep. She listened to the grandfather clock downstairs slowly tick away the time. The wind howled at the window, causing it to rattle. Wendy flinched, and looked at the window. Nothing was outside. She sighed and her head hit the pillow. Her brothers were already asleep. Michael was talking in his sleep about a monster, and John was snoring quite loudly.

"Wendy Darling..." A voice whispered, as clear as day. Wendy sat up in her bed and looked around. Nothing was there.

"Wendy..." Again, the voice called out to her. Something tapped on her window, and this time, it wasn't the wind. Wendy jumped out of bed and opened the window. John stirred, but didn't wake up.

Wendy looked into the shadow's eyes, grabbed his outstretched hand, and flew to Neverland.

*********

Wendy landed safely on the beach this time, and no mermaids were in sight. Wendy heard chanting and smelled a fire nearby. She smiled and ran down the beach as fast as her feet would take her.

The Lost Boys were dancing around the fire and having a wonderful time. Wendy laughed as a hand touched her shoulder.

"Well, well, well," Felix said, "look who's back. Ms. Wendy Darling." Felix turned Wendy around so that she was facing him.

"It's a pleasure to see you again too, Felix." Wendy smiled; she wasn't going to allow Felix to ruin her night. She was back in Neverland, and only one thing could make the night better.

Suddenly, a Lost Boy stood up and silenced the rest of them. Wendy gasped. She recognized the Lost Boy as the one that she had spoken to the last time she was in Neverland. Someone had moved in the shadows of the tree line. The Lost Boy picked up a crossbow and placed an arrow inside, ready to fire.