Chapter Thirteen: The Heart of the Truest Believer

"Cheaters never win."

~Peter Pan, Once Upon A Time 

Chapter Thirteen: The Heart of the Truest Believer

"Stop stalling, Pan. We need to know. We can't waste time any longer." Felix said as he entered the house in the tree. Pan turned to look at him.

"I'm not stalling, Felix. I'm just waiting." Pan said. 

"Waiting for what? Tell her tonight. Find out. If she's not who we think she is, we'll kill her and move on." Felix offered, but noticed Pan slightly flinch at the word, "kill." Felix smirked. "You've gone soft, Pan." 

"I have not!" Pan growled, and stepped closer to Felix. "Say that again, and you'll be fish food for the mermaids!" Felix laughed, and Pan realized that he was right. Wendy had changed him. Pan had lost his way of acting, and he had to get it back. He was on a mission. No distractions. His life depended on it. 

"I'll tell her. Tonight." Pan said, then sent the shadow off to retrieve Wendy. 

*********

Wendy landed lightly on the beach, her feet touching the soft sand. She felt comfortable on the beach, like she had made it home. Home to Pan. This was where she felt like she belonged.

"Welcome back," a voice said behind her. Wendy smiled and turned. 

"Hello, Peter." She greeted him. Pan smirked. 

"Let's go on an adventure, Wendy-bird." Pan said, and grabbed Wendy's hand. He ran off into the forest, pulling Wendy behind him. When they got to a clearing, he stopped. 

"Where are we going?" Wendy asked. 

"It's time I told you the truth, Wendy." Pan vaguely replied. Before Wendy could question him, he asked, "Want to fly again?" Wendy agreed, and held on to his hand. Pan lifted her up into the air, and the flew over the island.

"You don't need fairy dust?" Wendy asked, confused as to how Pan was flying.

"No, I have my happy thought now." Pan replied, then smiled at Wendy. Wendy smiled back, and blushed. They landed on a rock island off of Neverland, which to Wendy looked suspiciously like a giant skull. 

"Welcome to Skull Rock," Pan said to Wendy as their feet touched the cold and hard ground. 

"What is this place?" Wendy asked as she gawked at the height and terrifying demeanor of the rock. 

"You'll find out soon enough," Pan sighed. He looked down and realized that he still held Wendy's hand. He dropped it, and walked forward. Wendy followed behind and realized almost a sudden change in Pan's attitude and actions. Wendy felt as if she was being watched. 

Pan and Wendy entered the cave, and Wendy looked around. Inside, Skull Rock was hollow. In front of her was a giant stone staircase, and beside her was a dark pool where the lagoon spilled into the cave. 

"A bit grim, isn't it? Up we go!" Pan said, and Wendy followed behind. Pan seemed agitated to Wendy, like something was bugging him. She couldn't put her finger on it. They reached the top, and Wendy was shocked by what she saw.    

A giant hourglass sat upon a pile of large skulls. It was filled with golden sand that was slowly, but surely running out. Wendy stood in awe, not saying a word. 

"It's my life, Wendy." Pan said after a moment. Wendy looked at him. 

"What?" She asked.

"I'm dying." Pan answered, and turned away.