Chapter 4

Jasper Faye

I'm home. Finally, it feels like forever since I've been here. God, you would think that when your friend housesits for you, she would actually clean up from the party. The floor is sticky, and it smells like teen spirit. Well, more like 26 year old spirit, but same difference. Either way it smells like sweat, beer and a whole lot of pot. Thanks, Brooklyn, really, I wanted to come home to... this... I bent over and picked up a red plastic cup. The rim was slathered in lipstick and it had some chicks smothered cigarettes crushed in the bottom. Thanks. I climbed over the piles of trash, surprised there was no eviction notice on the door to my apartment. I went into the kitchen to find all of my food gone, I guess I should go shopping, I have been gone for a while.

"Hello? Are you home yet?"

"Brooklyn?!"

"Oh my God, Jasper, I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too, but you could have cleaned up around here after your party."

"Sorry, me and Sadie took off right afterwards, we had to run to the gas station for some food."

"Were you guys..."

"Maybe a little. But before you go off on your, 'smoking is bad for you, you know better' rant, we didn't smoke. We cooked."

"Okay that's a little better... but still not great. Be careful."

I knew she wouldn't. I'm not an idiot. She drinks, smokes, and lives her life thinking that she's doing everything right. That's where she's wrong. She crashes on my couch half the time, because I live closer to the bar. And my family thought I was the one with issues...

"Wanna come with me to the store? I need to replace all of the food you stole for you and Sadie."

"I said I'm sorry! What else do you want me to do?"

"Coming to the store and paying for my food would be nice." I whined sarcastically.

"Fine, I'll go with you and pay for half of it."

"Eh, good enough. If I try to get more, I know you'll just pay for less."

"True, true."

We climbed back through the mess and made our way to the door when I realized that I hadn't made a single payment on my car the entire time I was in the facility.

"Shit! I get back after all this fucking time and my apartments trashed and my car's been repoed! What the hell Brook?! You said you would keep up with my payments! Shit!" I yelled as I kicked a trash barrel into the alley.

I felt bad yelling at Brook, since she's been my closest friend for years, but at this point, I felt like I had no choice.

"I'm sorry! I tried, but while you were gone I got fired, I had to find a new job, your car was taken last week. I tried to explain your situation, but they couldn't be swayed."

"I know, I didn't mean to yell, it's just..."

"What?"

"When you've been called crazy for so long, you have to be put to sleep every time you yell. I haven't been able to let go of anything for months. I'm sorry."