Chapter 8

'Cause all my hair's abandoned all my body
Oh, my agony'

Dallon was sent home a week later, despite the shape he was in. His hands had gotten skinner, his fingers looked almost like skeletons. The disease was brutal. It took am awful toll on the boy's body. There was no stopping it now. They just had to deal with it... He could barely walk on his own anymore. His whole body hurt. His hair was completely gone by this time. He pretty much never took his gray beanie off anymore.

Brendon went over there as much as possible, and did what he could. He entertained him mostly. They played cards and talked. Dallon showed Brendon his collection of Elvis Costello CDs and they listened to a few of his favorites. Brendon made him smile, he always did. But it was a sad smile. A dying smile... Each time it was seen it was never as bright as the one before.

Brendon tried his best to keep him happy. He even made him eat and drink. Well, forced... But it would always cause him to throw up or have a nose bleed. Dallon had good days, and he had bad days. Most of them now were bad. Brendon tried his best to turn the bad ones good. Sometimes it worked.

This one particular day, he walked in, only to hear Dallon's mother screaming. "You lazy a$$hole! Get out of bed and do the goddamned dishes!" 

Lately Brendon had been doing them (along with all of Dallon's other chores) so Mrs.Weekes wouldn't get angry... But Brendon was late for his visit that day.  The school had told him to stop sending work home, since Dallon was too weak to do it. So it was useless. But he had to have a meeting after school because the counselor thought he was depressed. He wasn't depressed. He was just trying to live day by day. For Dallon. To make the best of every day. For Dallon.

He winced at the yelling. The poor boy was trying to walk downstairs, but he almost fell. Brendon ran over there and caught him. It was weird. Dallon was so light compared to him now. It used to be opposite.

Brendon led him back upstairs and made him lay down before he went back to scream at his mother. Dallon just listened from where he was. Brendon was screaming at his mom because she was a 'worthless pathetic cunt.' No matter how much it was true, Dallon was never able to say it. And it stung a little. No matter what, she was still his mother after all. Brendon had finished Dallon's chores and went up to his room within the next 10 minutes. He had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in his hand too. Dallon smiled and his big blue eyes lit up when he saw him.

"Hello Dallon!" Brendon smiled as he walked closer to him. Dallon looked like he was in pain, but was trying to fight it. He had his hat off as well, exposing his mostly bald head. He knew Dallon was self concious about it so he didn't bring it up. But he did give him some pain medicine. "Today's agenda consists on whatever you want to do and a bath. I know you hate those, but we gotta. I won't look I promise!"

"Even if you did, you wouldn't be impressed. I've lost a lot of weight and I was never impressive before."

"C'mon Dalpal!" He smiled and poked the boy's mouth with the sandwich. He sat down on the bed beside him. "Open up!"

"Brendon please..." He tried to push him away.

"C'mon Dallon.. You gotta eat." Brendon pouted and tried to get him to eat again.

"Brendon... Can you sing to me?" Dallon looked up at him with glossy eyes.

"What song?" He looked back at him, concentrating on his eyes.

"The song 'what's so funny bout peace love and understanding.' It's one of my favorites... Or sing the song I want played at my funeral..."

"What song would that be?"