The Scolding

Chapter 2

"Walk her out Mrs. Kitchens" he orders and a small hand is placed on my forearm to gently guide me towards the door.

Delicate fingers run across my upper back soothingly as Mrs. Kitchen does as instructed. Slowly I begin to put one foot in front of the other. The feeling of shock numbs every other emotion that is bubbling to the surface. I have never been so rudely rejected. I have never been rejected. Ever.

The surprise is so overwhelming I almost allow her to lead me through the door before suddenly all the feeling returns to my body and I'm hit hard with hot and red anger. I spin around rapidly, unfortunately,  not allowing myself time to digest the anger.

"You are making a mistake sir." My voice surprises me with the amount of authority it contains, and with strong steps, I walk towards his desk.

"I have more life experience and stomach to take care of, spoiled or not, children than in the pinky of the women out there. Whether I am young has nothing to do with the amount of care and dedication I would have towards your children. You are the one being childish, judging someone based on their looks without even opening their file-" I point to the stack of folders at the corner of this desk- "you have been rude and seem to be the one who needs a scolding more than any child. I hope you realize your mistake and I will be waiting for an apology when you are ready."

Then with that, I stormed out of the room with Mrs. Kitchens trailing behind me. Not waiting to hear his smart-ass reply.

*

It takes a moment for me to realize the severity and gravity of the situation if Anthony Rivera wanted to show just how he handles disrespect.

Mr. Anthony Rivera has only appeared out in public for parties or galas. His presence is never predictable and only after the fact will the media know he was there. But even then the pictures were shot from far away and crappy quality. He is mysterious and keeps his business tight, never been one to outsource. So when he was outsourcing for a Nanny position it was at just the right time for me.

His business is shady, it's never been documented what he does exactly. So when I began piecing everything together it wasn't a shock to see a connection between the Mafia and Mr. Rivera. But nothing conclusive that could lock him up. So I figured why not chase after this story, it has been the one I've dreamed of for years.

"It was a good scolding," Mrs. Kitchens offers as an attempt to console me. Her caring mannerisms matched with a calm expression makes her impossible to understand. I don't know if her actions are genuine or for alternative motives, but either way, I accept the coffee she hands me and return her smile.

Thankfully there was a scheduled break for halfway between the interviews so Mrs. Kitchens had time to calm me down before she had to escort another girl back.

"Thank you," I sigh watching the other women in the room finish fixing their hair, make-up, or boobs. I may not be full of good intent, but at least I wasn't aiming for what these girls were.

"Do you have children?" She asks.

I cough on command and practically choke on the coffee, "um no. Just practice from babysitting," is my lame response.

She nods, "do you want any, kids I mean?"

Digesting her question I answer honestly, "depends I guess. Like who I'm with, what my job is, how much money I have saved."