Chapter Seven

Danielle's POV:

"We should really stop at the side and switch, you look tired." Bruno said after straight 4 hours of driving. I would lie if I'd say I wasn't exhausted. "I'm fine, we got 3 more hours till Sheridan." I said. "Yeah, and I will drive them." He said. "There is a gas station in a few meters. We'll stop there, maybe take something for the way and then keep driving." He said. "What about you? aren't you tired?" I asked. "I slept for two hours, I'm more awaken then you are." He said, and he had a point.

We reached to the gas station and I parked the car. We both got out and headed towards the small refreshment store. I grabbed a big bottle of Coca Cola and a salmon sandwich in a box while Bruno ordered two coffees to go. I took some snacks as well, who knows how long this trip will contain. "Do you need all of these snacks?" Bruno asks. "I can return them, but don't blame me if you'll be too hungry. We don't know how long this thing will take." I said. He nodded. "Good point. Can you get me a ham & cheese sandwich in a box?" he asked. I nodded and did as he asked.

"What is your trip about?" The seller, who was a guy in his mid 60s asked. "Oh, it's just nothing... You know, exploring." I said. "What city?" he asked. "Sheridan." Bruno said and I wanted to slap him. Why would he tell a foreign man where we heading? We don't know what can happen. "Sheridan?" he asked. "Why? there is nothing to do there." He said. "Well we need to find my-" Bruno started but I cut it off. "My dog. We need to find my dog." I said. Really Danielle, that the best you could come up with?

"Your dog?" he asked. "Yes. You see, my grandma lives in Sheridan and she watched over my dog for a while." I said, hoping he'll buy it. He did.

"Well ok, have fun in Sheridan I guess." he said and we thanked him as he brought the two hot coffees. "The total is 15.70 dollars." He said. I gave him a 20 dollars bill. He gave me the change and me and Bruno left the shop.

"Your dog? What was that about?" Bruno asked as we were in the car. "Bruno, you don't know the man. Why would you tell him where we heading and why? That's dangerous." I said. "I was being polite, he asked me so I answered. Or at least I tried..." He said, a bit of annoyance in his voice. "I'm just trying to keep us safe, you'll thank me about that." I said. With that, he started the car and drove, one hand on the wheel and the other holding the cup of coffee.

I started to think, why would The Red Mountains want to take a former superstar's daughter?

They never wanted money for their victims... But they did give the people a chance to find them. Till now, no one succeeded. It was as if it's just a cruel, idiotic game of them. Kidnapping and killing innocent kids and watching their parents suffering? This is just messed up.

With my thought in my head, my eyes got heavy and I slowly drifted off to sleep...

Bruno's POV:

I was drinking my coffee and eating my boxed sandwich. The hour was close to 3am. Needless to say we got out of the house around 10 in the evening. But I'm ready to do anything that it takes to find my Leila.

Leila... my little baby girl. I hope she's ok. I'm sick worried to her. And those stupid asshole, The Red Mountains... If they're going to touch the tip of her fingernail, I'll kill them. My grip around the wheel tightened at the thought.

I looked to my right and saw Danielle already sleeping. Her help is the thing I need most right now, and it also the only thing I have. She looked peaceful and stressless as she slept. I wondered if I did too, or did I look bothered as hell. Because I felt bothered as hell. My dream bothered me.

I dream about that night, where everything happened.

The way Jessica died in my arms, and little Leila examined me. I always wanted my kids to have Hawaiian-style names. Leila was our choice. Jessica said that it's not even a question, and asking her if her middle name could be Bernadette, was unnecessary because she wanted that to happen since we found out it was a girl.

When she died there, in my arms, during the birth giving of our baby, our creation... I just knew I need to put all my attention on Leila. And I decided to do the thing I never in my life thought I'll do...

I quit music.