IX. - Kiltepan -

"Jeremy?"

Maine's world stopped right at that moment. And in an instant, most of her past memories returned. Her heart went on overdrive. She gulped and stood up. Jeremy moved closer and gave her a smile.

"Maine? Hi, anong ginagawa mo dito?" He asked, still smiling.

"Hindi ba obvious? Edi kumakain. Ikaw talaga." She said and Jeremy chuckled. Maine glanced at Richard and introduced him right away.

"By the way ... this is Richard."

"The Hugot chef! I know you! You're good!" Jeremy said and they did a quick handshake.

"Kung good ako bakit niya ako iniwan?" Richard asked and Maine rolled her eyes.

"Sabi mo di ka na huhugot?" she asked him.

"Di ko napigilan eh."

"I'm sorry, Jeremy. Pag-pasensiyahan mo na. What are you doing here?" Maine asked, diverting all of her attention to her ex.

"I work here now. Ikaw? What are you two doing here?" Jeremy asked back.

"Um ... we ..." Maine looked at Richard and wondered what the appropriate answer will be. After a few seconds, she took a deep breath and shifted her eyes back to Jeremy.

"Vacation, taking some time off." She answered and smiled a bit. Richard walked towards a window and admired the view outside.

"Kayo na ba?" Jeremy asked and Maine felt her face turn hot.

"What? No. How are you? Kayo pa ba ni ...."

"Nope. What are you doing here in Sagada? Tutulungan mo ba siya mag-move on?"

"Hindi lang siya." She uttered, looking at Jeremy straight in the eyes.

"Maine ..."

"No ... never mind ... you should continue working. See you around." Maine answered. Jeremy just smiled and walked away from her. A couple of months ago, she would have given everything just to make him stay. But after their brief talk, Maine realized she doesn't feel that anymore.

"Are you two good?" Richard suddenly asked.

"Oo naman."

" Gusto ko kasi sana siyang suntukin eh."

"Edi wow. Tara na nga. Wala ng ulan oh." Maine said and they finished their food. After eating, they got back out and walked around to admire the paradise that they were in.

--

Richard spent the next few hours keeping his attention glued at Maine. He watched her expressions closely, trying to discern whether she felt sad or anything after meeting Jeremy again.

"So hey ... are you ready?" Maine asked after returning to their room.

"Yung guide natin? Nasan na? Hindi naman siguro tayo iniwan no? Sawa na kasi akong iniiwan eh." He replied. Richard then stuffed a couple of things in his bag and carried it over his shoulder.

"Kala ko ba wala munang hugot?"

"Eh ..."

"Forget it, okay lang yun. Let's go?" she asked and gave him a smile.

"Sure." He answered and smiled back at her. Maine was about to walk out of the room when Richard told her to step. She turned around and looked at him again.

"What?"

"Okay ka lang?"

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?"

"Because of Jeremy?"

"Okay na ako ... this trip is all about you ... kaya ... Let's focus on that, shall we?" she asked and as soon as Richard nodded, Maine left the room without saying another word. The smile on his face faded. He let out a sigh and looked at his reflection in the mirror.

"Richard .... you will get through this, okay? Keep your shit together." He whispered before leaving the room and following Maine outside. After an hour of walking and a short hike, they finally reached Mount Kiltepan's lookout point. Richard's heart fluttered at the sea of clouds underneath them. The setting sun covered everything with its, making the place look like a tangerine-colored heaven.

"This is beautiful." He muttered.

"Now ... scream." Maine said.

"What?" he asked.

"You need to scream. You have to let everything out para makapag-move on ka ng mas mabilis." She answered. Richard looked at her straight in the eyes and asked her to do it first.

"Bakit? Saan naman ako magmo-move on?" she asked him.

"Kanino pa?"

Maine rolled her eyes and placed her hands on her hips. She turned to her side and looked at him straight in the eyes.

"Richard ..."

"No ... I saw the way you looked at him kanina. I saw how your voice faltered when you first saw him. I sensed the tension in your body, the sadness in your voice, how awkward you moved. You're not over him ... at least not completely."

"Richard ... hindi tungkol tong bakasyon na 'to sa akin. Para sa'yo to." She whispered. Richard let out an exasperated sigh and took a deep breath.

"You're wrong. Para din naman sa'yo to eh di ba? Kaya mo lang naman ako nilapitan at kinausap eh dahil alam mong may makukuha ka sa akin. Na yung storya ... na yung kabiguan ko ... yun ang magliligtas sa trabaho mo. I'm very thankful and appreciative sa lahat ng ginagawa mo. I just wanna help you. I saw the way you interacted with him and it hurts me to think that after everything he did eh may pwesto pa siya sa puso mo."

"Well ... you never really stop loving someone. Jeremy will always be a part of me. But in a different way now." She said, keeping her eyes away from him.

"Then scream it all out. You told me I should start living. That statement means that I should stop ebing afraid of my past. You should do that too." He said and she went quiet. For a moment, Richard thought she was going to walk away. But instead, she took a step closer to the edge and started screaming her heart's contents.

After a couple of minutes, she smiled and looked at him. Richard glanced at her before taking a step forward. He closed his eyes for a moment, mustered every ounce of pain he felt the past few days and screamed at the top of his lungs.

--

It was almost dark when they got back to the inn. Maine looked at Richard and saw him smiling. After they entered the room, she sat on the side of the bed and kept her eyes glued at him.

"How are you feeling, Richard?"

"Good." He said.

"You know what I mean."

"I do. And thank you for that."

He then sat next to her and looked up at the ceiling. Maine turned her eyes away and wondered what he was feeling when he was screaming his heart out.

"Maine?" he asked and so she looked at him. But the moment she did, he leaned closer and kissed her cheeks. Her eyes widened. Maine quickly pulled away and looked at him.

"What was that for?"

"For everything ... thank you very much."

"You're welcome, Richard. You're so freaking welcome."

--

magsisimula na kaya ang road to recovery? stay tuned :)