PREVIEW - [BOOK TWO] - CH. 3 | NUDE

A slither of pale winter sun peeks through the small gap in my curtains; it’s daytime -time to get up and face reality again. I throw back the covers of my single bed and sit up, relieved that my dream has ended. Nowadays my dreams are just as bad as being awake because in each of them I am still without him. Every night before I go to sleep he is always the last thing on my mind, so naturally he is in every dream I have. Every night, in every dream -no matter where we are or what we are doing -he leaves me, and every morning I wake up. Alone. Sometimes my dreams are so vivid that I relish waking up because for a few seconds, everything is all right…then reality sets in and the emptiness comes rushing back to me. I don’t know which is better: feeling the pain of my loss, or feeling nothing at all. Either way I am miserable; stuck in my own personal purgatory, unable to feel anything, the hole in my chest collecting dust. When he walked away he took my heart with him and as far as I’m concerned, he can keep it. It’s his. It will always be his.

I pick up my iPhone from the windowsill and look at the time –its 5 o’clock already? Well looks like my ‘alone time’ is going to have to be cut short because I have to start getting ready for tonight’s event. Before the new term officially begins, everyone is heading to Moonlight Ents’s official re-fresher’s rave, Bad & Beautiful at the The Suite in Leicester Square, to celebrate being back at university. Why they think being back is something to celebrate I will never know, but this rave is the first big event of the year, so I have to go. Naturally, I have that anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach that people are going to stop, stare and gossip when they see me, but like Tyson said; I can’t hide forever. He thinks that if I just throw myself into the lion’s den, then it’s more likely that the buzz about my name will die down faster because I’ll be old news after that. I hope he’s right.

After a long leisurely shower, I smother my skin in Palmer’s Cocoa Butter and pull my outfit out of the cupboard -I purchased this from a small fashion boutique in The Denes shopping centre in Bromley, so it’s near enough exclusive. I have been saving this dress for a special occasion, but as I need to return to the scene with a bang, I figure that tonight is special enough. It isn’t something that I would usually wear when I’m raving because it’s too impractical for the way I dance, but I look beyond amazing in it. I finger the chocolate jersey fabric and smile to myself. Even though I won’t admit it out loud, I’m also choosing to rock this dress just in case Nathaniel shows up. I know, it’s a little pathetic making an extra effort to look good just in case the boy you like (in my case, the boy I love) sees it, but we’ve all done it, so don’t you judge me.

I step into the dress carefully, admiring the way the soft cocoa material caresses my skin as I pull it up my legs, over my hips, torso, and bust, then I tie the thin spaghetti straps around my neck. The dress hugs my voluptuous frame and stops just below my knees, the plunging halter neckline dips down to my cleavage; high enough to be tasteful, but low enough to make eyes and minds wonder. As it is the same cocoa complexion of my skin, it has that coquettish quality that makes me appear nude at first glance. The back of the dress is almost non-existent as the material doesn’t begin until it hits the dimples at the small of my back. I am walking sex.

I keep my makeup and hairstyle understated, keeping the colours neutral, and slicking my hair up into an empress bun. Even my shoes are simple –nude suede pumps. I glamourize my ensemble with a pair of large gold disc earrings from H & M, a statement gold cocktail ring from Accessorize, and a hand beaded gold clutch from Top Shop. You know those random occasions when you look so good that you just stand and stare at yourself in the mirror for ages, then you realise that you’re being really vain but you don’t care because you’re a goddamn vixen, so you start posing, pouting and practicing your ‘come hither’ looks and possible modelling positions for Instagram, until your flawlessness drives you to feel narcissistic enough to actually take pictures for Instagram and post it up, then wait for the ‘likes’ to roll in (oh this is so going to be my new avi…maybe I should post it on Twitter too -@RioDuran: New avi! ) ...or is that just me? Whatever! There is no way Nathaniel can think badly of me when I look this good. I’m sure of it.