Moonlit Scales: Five

M O O N L I T   S C A L E S :
Chapter Five

[]

"WHY ARE YOU so lumpy?" Addie asked, wriggling out of my hug as I chuckled.

"That would be because . . ." I shook my arm, sliding the grapefruit down my sleeve and into my waiting hand. "Surprise," I cheered gleefully, presenting the fruit to my sister who had an enormous grin spreading across her face.

She took it gingerly, her eyes glued to its ripe, glowing peel, as if afraid she would drop it and it would shatter and disappear. She glanced up at me. "Does Piper know?"

"Go ahead and tell her." I laughed as Addison dashed out of the bedroom to show the rest of our family the wonder.

Now that they were all distracted, I could gather basic necessities I'd take to the battle camp. All soldiers were to report to Casim, an isolated field used for training, in four days. I knew this because Papa received the same instructions every year, defending our land and our people. The requirements never changed, which helped me in this moment. Only Addie knew what I was about to do, and she would keep it secret as long as my absence could remain unnoticed.

As I began throwing open drawers and scrambling to find certain clothing, I remembered Piper still had the scroll with the written terms and conditions of commitment. I needed it to show our general that we were formally requested to engage in the Battle of the Beasts.

If I left tonight, with a head start on human legs, I would make it in less than two days. I would use the extra days to prepare myself for the obstacles others have been facing their whole lives. This would work, just like I assured Addie. I could do this.

I reached under the mattress and tugged my satchel from underneath. It was just large enough to hold everything I'd carry with me.

"Sky, come and tell us how you possibly managed to obtain this!" I faintly heard Papa call from the kitchen, above the rebellious drumming of my heart.

"In a minute!" I responded. Biting my lip, I shoved the pack inside my pillowcase and fingered my pen on the nightstand. Uncapping it with my mouth and crouching back on my heels, I scribbled some notes on the wall behind the mirror after tilting it away and leaning it against my knee. hair, bow/arrows, clothes, scroll, letter, coins, food, torch, Phoenix, name . . .

"Sky Fae!"

"Coming!" I shouted, replacing my pen and fixing the mirror's position.

Bracing myself for a bombardment of questions and reprimanding, I strode into the little kitchen and perched on a wooden stool at the edge of our table. "Yes?"

"Where did you get this?" my father queried, beaming and holding the grapefruit like a worthy prize.

"The market," I answered quietly, cringing when all three heads snapped up to scrutinize me. I squirmed under their glares, wishing they would just accept the fact that I am capable of smuggling as precisely as I could unlock a bolt with my claw.

"You stole," Piper accused.

"I had to," I defended myself pathetically, and brightened when I remembered I had more to show for my lack of obedience and rationality.

"Here, look," I said proudly, pulling food out from my trousers. The fish was retrieved last, and placed in the center of my accumulating pile.