Moonlit Scales: Eleven

M O O N L I T   S C A L E S :
Chapter Eleven

[]

PHOENIX WAS UPSET. I knew this because his cawing turned whiny, kind of like a kitten meowing for the first time, when something troubled him. I couldn't see, but I heard his wailing in the darkness.

Light penetrated through my thick eyelids, casting an eerie red glow across the membrane. I picked up a few mumbled words, but above the boisterous pounding of my skull, only Phoenix's stressful cries were clear. I tried to move, and I think I managed to twitch my nose, but I was otherwise limp. The voices grew louder, and just as I could make out distinct syllables, they fanned to quiet murmurs, like I was playing with my volume and couldn't decide where to land it. Eventually I gave up on understanding, and focused only on my ragged, shallow breathing. Events from last night—or however long ago—came flooding back, and my headache, surprisingly, lessened with remembering.

I don't know how long I mulled there, wherever I was, but the stiffness became unbearable, and I forced myself to change position. I picked my heavy body up on trembling legs, and I felt like a baby fawn learning to walk. I clenched my jaw from the struggle, and fisted my fingers. I stood there for a minute, unmoving, regulating my pumping pulse.

My eyes cracked open wearily, and the sight before me nearly sent me to the ground again. It was morning, and I was still in the deathbed of Casim, the endless black fields a solemn reminder of the past week and a half. My head spun as I tried to make sense of the lopsided horizon. My tongue felt mossy, and the back of my throat was parched. I was a dragon. The moon, the devil's spawn, and Ambrose . . . What had I done?

"Sky!"

My head cocked to the side. What? All I wanted was sleep. I had done enough; I had done my part for this kingdom. Why couldn't I be rewarded with that one, simple wish?

"Sky!" the shout came again, and I peered below at the six figures squatting on the ground. Six of them. We had all survived! The seven of us made it against the fury of the dragon fleet!

"Sky Fae, answer me!"

Sky Fae. My eyes flicked to the source of the voice, and I found Piper—my sister, Piper—hollering with her hands cupped around her mouth. When our eyes met, she gestured with her hand for me to come lower.

I did as she asked, and brought my neck to the ashes where Piper stood. What are you doing here?

Piper's eyebrows shot up. "What am I—No, Sky, what are you doing here?" she demanded, appalled.

I hesitated. What happened? I asked instead, answering her question with my own.

My older sister sighed. I knew she would get back to her original question—nothing ever got past Piper—but it was obvious she would go slower on me, just this once. "Phoenix brought Addy a red ribbon in the middle of the night. She seemed to know what it meant, and sent me here to Casim immediately. Papa lent me his horse, and here I am, worried to death about you, Sky. What on this blessed earth were you possibly thinking?"

Something must have knocked me in the head, because I smiled in reply. Piper shook her head. "And here you are, a great lizard after one."

My chin dipped as she confirmed what I refused to think about. I was ashamed, guilty, and sorry for myself and every other bravely-fought knight. Averting my gaze, I turned to the circle of five soldiers. My eyes widened. Where was Ambrose?

My heart rate picked up speed, and I began to panic. Wildly, my eyes pleaded with my sister.

She merely rolled her eyes like he was of no concern. As she reluctantly fed me information, she studied her nails. "The prince is in the infirmary. He is alive, so you can hush up and follow me home. I believe neither Papa nor Addy had a wink of shut-eye after what you pulled on us."