Chapter Six

Newt laid in his bed, turned away from the door and from Jacob. He tried not to shift too much, as he attempted to impersonate a sleeping person. As soon as he heard the door open, he closed his eyes tightly, and clutched a hand around his wand. Soon, he heard Tina's voice.

"I thought you might like a hot drink?" She said as if a question. Newt held his breath as he heard Tina hand Jacob his cup, and places Newt's cup on the bedside table, frustrated. Newt felt a small worm of guilt but knew he had to keep quiet to attend to more important matters.

"Hey, Mr. Scamander, look, cocoa!" Jacob's voice sounded, evidently trying to make things friendlier. Newt decided not to move. He heard Tina let out a annoyed sigh.

"The toilet's down the hall to the right." Tina said irritably.

"Thanks..." Jacob's voice trailed off a bit. Newt heard the door start to close. "Very much."

As soon as the door closed fully, Newt jumped up. He saw Jacob look at him wide eyed, but decided to ignore him. He grabbed the case from his bed side, and opened it. He immediately walked down the ladder. Jacob let out a small shriek of alarm. Newt smirked to himself as he poked his hand out beckoning the Muggle. Newt waited a few moments as he craned his head to hear for a response. When there was no response, Newt waved his hand again impatiently. He was itching to make sure Kat and his creatures were okay.

"Come on!" Newt said, and he moved as soon he heard Jacob's bed creak. Newt quickly took off his coat and his bow tie. He heard Jacob grunt as he tried to fit in.

"For the love of..." Jacob said. With a mighty jump, he fell through. Newt flinched slightly as Jacob fell down the steps. He turned to face him. He saw Jacob look around in curiosity.

"Will you sit down?" Newt asked, gesturing to the boxes of Mooncalf pellets. Jacob gingerly took a seat, looking apprehensive.

Newt raised an eyebrow as he peeked at the bite on Jacob's neck. He wrinkled his nose slightly. Yup. Murtlap.

"Ah, that's definitely the Murtlap. You must be particularly susceptible. See, you're a Muggle. So your physiologies are subtly different." He was completely in his element now. Newt explained briefly as he turned around to his work table and began making an antidote. Which he has to make only once before, when the Murtlap bit Kat. Newt paused for a second, horrified. Kat! Where was she?!

He rapidly applied the mixture to Jacob's neck. "Now stay still. That should stop the sweating." Newt stopped to look around for some pills. He quickly grabbed them and handed them to Jacob. "And one of those should stop the twitch."

Jacob looked at the pills before shrugging and swallowing them. Newt once again began preparing. His creatures hadn't eaten for a while. He hacked some meat into smaller pieces, trying not to gag, and handed the bucket to Jacob.

"Take that." Newt said as his attention drifted to his Swooping Evil. His science mindset won over his paternal one as he cradled it. He gently squeezed it, and it emitted its poison. "Come on..." he collected the fluid in a glass vial.

"What you got there?" Jacob's voice sounded from beside him.

Newt smiled slightly. "Well this, the locals call "Swooping Evil". Not the friendliest of names. It's quite an agile fellow." Newt flicked his cocoon, which dangled elegantly to demonstrate. "I've been studying him. And I'm pretty sure his venom could be quite useful if properly diluted. Just to remove bad memories, you know." Newt then became mischievous and decided to have a little surprise for Mr Kowalski. He threw the cocoon at Jacob and watched Jacob jump a mile into the air as the creature let out a screech. Newt chuckled quietly.

"Probably shouldn't let him loose in here though." Newt recalled the Swooping Evil. He thought of Kat again. "Come on." Newt began jogging off towards the forest area, where many of the creatures lived. He could hear Jacob puffing to keep up. Newt slowed to a walk as he got near the tree house. Jacob, panting, caught up and bent over.

"Where are we?"

"Just wait." Newt said hushing him. He whistled out a few notes and waited.

Jacob's POV

Jacob looked around curiously. "What are you calling f-" Suddenly he yelled as something came shooting down from the tree he had been standing underneath. The creature landed on Newt. Jacob stood paralyzed as Newt grappled with the creature. At first, he thought Newt was screeching. Then Jacob realized that Newt was laughing.

"You monkey!" He said tickling the creature. Jacob leaned closer and was shocked to see a face peer at him. A human girl's face.

"Hello, mister!"