This Girl is Different

Mike took Tracey by the hand as they walked out of The Troubadour to where his black roadster was parked about a block away. He opened the passenger door for her, and as she slid into the seat, he took a peek at her long, smooth tan legs. 'Damn,' he thought.

Walking into The Troubadour that night, he didn't know what to expect from Pete's new band. He only heard from Micky that it was more of a bluesy-rock with a female lead singer. When he talked to Pete the day of, he spoke of Tracey as a "cute blonde with a voice of a Chicago blues singer." So, Mike was of course, intrigued, for he loved the blues, and blondes.

When he walked into the bar that night, what he saw onstage was an angel, a goddess that was singing to his soul. He saw her vulnerability with every song, which made Tracey even more beautiful to him. And those legs—'My god!' he thought, as he watched her move onstage, or sit playfully on Pete's piano. 

 "She makes me nervous, I don't know if I could talk to her," Mike said to Micky.

"What do you mean you're nervous? You have tons of chicks hit on you all the time!"

"Yeah, but this girl is different. It's like she already knows me, like she is singing to me. I don't know, it's weird, but kind of cool," Mike said.

"Well, I don't think you have anything to be nervous about. Pete said she is very down to earth. But I think she has a boyfriend," Micky said.

Mike wasn't too concerned about her having a boyfriend. He just wanted to talk to her, to get to know her, and to look in her beautiful blue- green eyes.

He was pleasantly surprised to find out from Pete that she was single, and once he started talking to Tracey, he felt like they were meant to meet each other. He didn't want the night to end. So, he suggested the drive, thinking they could stay out longer, and maybe something else could happen.

Mike drove Tracey to a quiet spot overlooking L.A.

"Wow! I've never been up here before!" Tracey said, excitedly.

"Yeah, I like to come up here sometimes to think and clear my head," Mike said.

"Such a big city, all of those people down there running around, but it looks so peaceful from up here. It's almost like a different world," Tracey said.

'God, I love her,' Mike thought.

He turned on the radio and "Crimson and Clover" came on.

Mike put his arm around Tracey and leaned in, resting the back of his head on his head rest.

Tracey felt a wave of heat and a closeness she wasn't ready for. She started to move her body towards the door, leaning away from Mike.

He looked over at Tracey confused. 'Does she not want me?' he thought.

"Hey, why don't you move a little closer? Are you comfortable?" Mike asked.

"Yeah, um, I'm comfortable," Tracey awkwardly said.

She then looked at Mike with tears in her eyes and said "Listen, I'm just a little frazzled right now. My boyfriend and I broke up just last night, and I didn't think I was going to meet someone like you right away, and you're probably going to think I'm messed up, but I'm not. I'm just afraid of getting too close to a man right now."

"Whoa, you broke up with him last night?" Mike said, as he sat upright, pulling his arm away from Tracey.

"Well, actually, he broke up with me," Tracey said, wiping tears from her eyes.

Mike then did the sweetest thing she could ever think of. He placed his hand gently on her cheek, wiped the tears with his thumb off her face and said softly "How could anyone break up with you?"