Suspicious Minds

Tracey had about an hour to get ready for her and Mike's big "first date" as she had rehearsal at Pete's house all afternoon. She didn't mention her date with Mike to Pete, or the fact that they had a major make out session in his roadster after their show on Thursday night. However, Pete did of course grill her about Mike, because he saw them talking the entire time and he knew something was going on between them. Hell, the whole bar knew.

"So, did you make it home okay on Thursday?" Pete asked as she walked into his home that day.

"Well, yeah, I'm alive, aren't I?" Tracey snapped back, She knew he wanted to hear some details. She wasn't sure if Mike was the kind to kiss-and-tell, but she wasn't about to brag about how she kissed Mike Nesmith, and how she let him do even more to her, on the night they met.

"I heard Mike drove you home," Pete said.

"Oh really? And how did you hear about that?" Tracey asked, annoyed.

"Mike told me. I went to their rehearsal on Friday," Pete said, looking at her as if he wanted her to reveal more.

"Huh, what else did he say?" Tracey asked, nervously.

"I mean, nothing really. Just that he thought we put on a really groovy set that night. And he thought you were a looker," Pete said, winking at Tracey.

"A looker? How did he say it?"

"You know, how guys talk about a woman they find attractive. He said 'Yeah, and that Tracey, she is a looker, isn't she?"

'Great, now I'm "a looker"' Tracey thought, feeling a knot of nerves in her stomach. 'What if he only thinks of me as a piece of ass?'

As she was putting on her make-up in her bathroom, looking at herself in the mirror, she started to think that going out with Mike might not be a good idea. She heard of his promiscuous ways, but always brushed it off. It was 1970 after all, and the past decade was full of "Make love, not war" and people sleeping around was the norm. They didn't call it the "Swingin' Sixties" for nothing.

But, she also knew Mike cheated on his wife, and being a victim of adultery herself, she can only imagine how Mike's wife felt being hurt by him. She couldn't let another man cheat on her again.

Then again, maybe they had problems that she couldn't understand. Marriage is tough, especially when you marry too young and then fame takes you on a rollercoaster you would never expect.

'Maybe Mike was too immature for marriage,' she thought.

As she picked out which dress she would wear, another thought popped in her mind. 'What if I fall for Mike, but he only wants to hook up?' She knew that guys who planned dates only did that for girls they really liked, but she never dated a "Hollywood Player" before.

She slipped on her little black dress, which fell a few inches above her knee, and had a sweetheart neckline, which showed a little cleavage, but it was enough to drive any man crazy. The dress fit perfectly to show her curves, but it wasn't slutty by any means, it was more classy-seductive, a nice dress to wear on a first date to Beverly Hills.

She heard a knock on her door. 'Holy shit, this is it,' she thought, the butterflies in her stomach racing.

She opened the door and there was Mike, with a bouquet of pink roses, and wearing a nice brown leisure suit, with an orange tie and white button up shirt underneath, and white shoes. Tracey's heart fell to the floor.

"Hi babe," Mike said, his voice sounding enthusiastic, and he gave Tracey the flowers and a kiss on the cheek.

"You shouldn't have!" Tracey said, feeling awkward and nervous. "Take a seat and I'll go put these in water."

Mike sat on Tracey's couch, looked around her tiny studio that she made cute somehow, and stared at her, looking her up and down, as she walked into her tiny-closet kitchen.

'Her ass looks amazing in that dress,' he thought.

Tracey walked into her living area and Mike sat there, eyeing her up and down.

"Now, that's a dress," Mike said, trying to contain his growing erection through his polyester pants.

"Oh, this old thing?" Tracey said, teasing him.

Mike stood up, grabbed Tracey by the waist, kissed her softly, then looked into her eyes and got serious for a moment.

"I've really been lookin' forward to this," Mike said softly in his Texas twang.

Tracey wanted to faint.

She looked up at him, into his endearing eyes, all the doubts about Mike thrown to the way-side, as she said with a shy smile, "I have been looking forward to this too, Mike."

As they walked out of her apartment, the sun was starting to set on the coast. The sky had colors of indigo with streaks of pink throughout.

'This is going to be an unforgettable night,' Tracey thought excitedly.